Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My latest cheapskate moment.

Posted by on May. 18, 2014 at 3:27 PM
  • 53 Replies
1 mom liked this

So I am endeavoring to grow my own veggies this year on my balcony.  To grow beets I need large wide containers, looking at walmart and home depot they have them for $30 each.  That's $60 bucks!  Not exactly money saving.  

I had some big laundry tubs in storage holding some of ds's old toys.  So I bought a clothe sack at the dollar store and put the junk in them, cut holes in the bottom.  It was flush with the ground so I looked around the apartment and found these mini packs of playdoh that had hardened and glued them to the bottom.

Voila! $2 spent for 2 huge planting tubs.  It's pretty ugly though lol.  What do you think?

by on May. 18, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 18, 2014 at 3:29 PM

My first thought was, 'ew, beets?'  lol

catcameback
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2014 at 3:30 PM

lol, they aren't for everyone, but we eat a lot of them.  And carrots (which will be in the other bin)

Quoting Anonymous:

My first thought was, 'ew, beets?'  lol

TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on May. 18, 2014 at 3:31 PM

We like growing our own veggies too:)

Bleacher-mom
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2014 at 3:32 PM
Want them free? Go to your local cake store or grocery store that makes cakes. You can usually get 5 gallon buckets that they get their frosting in for free. You just have to wash them out
catcameback
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I've never tried it before, I'm looking forward to it.  I was supposed to start it today but I can't.  A bit disappointed.  But I've got it all set up.  We're goign to try lavender, basil, rosemart, parsley, garlic, carrots, beets and bell peppers.

Quoting TurtleMomma82:

We like growing our own veggies too:)

Sissi30
by ★Hey.Girl.Hey★ on May. 18, 2014 at 3:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Hey it gets the job done!
catcameback
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Thank you! I will ask now.  I remember when I worked in one we always had to send the bins back, but it can't hurt to ask.

I get skids off the dollarstore by my house for free adn build things with the wood.

Quoting Bleacher-mom: Want them free? Go to your local cake store or grocery store that makes cakes. You can usually get 5 gallon buckets that they get their frosting in for free. You just have to wash them out

othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Great idea

MrsNiko88
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

hey it works...

Bleacher-mom
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2014 at 3:36 PM
Quoting catcameback:

Thank you! I will ask now.  I remember when I worked in one we always had to send the bins back, but it can't hurt to ask.

I get skids off the dollarstore by my house for free adn build things with the wood.

Quoting Bleacher-mom: Want them free? Go to your local cake store or grocery store that makes cakes. You can usually get 5 gallon buckets that they get their frosting in for free. You just have to wash them out

I probably wont do an in ground garden again for a long time. I have done one and it was a bad experience. From now on will only grow stuff in buckets
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)