Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Sleepy and Pissed off...WWYD?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 85 Replies
I am in my last stretch of Maternity leave. I have 11 days left and back to work. My daughter has been breastfeeding since day one and I also use bottles occasionally which is pumped breastmilk in the event I can't breastfeed. For the most part I have been the only one up with my newborn bc I breastfeed. I am tired, exhausted and would like a little more than a 3 hr stretch and not do it alone. So I decided to pump and give a bottle at night to get some rest. My SO was on the couch with my lo next to him in a bassinet and at 4:30 am (I was sleep) brings her in and says he has to work and needs sleep...The purpose of pumping was so he can understand I need a break and sleep too. Am I overreacting or should I suck it up since I am on Maternity Leave right now? How does you SO help you with baby at night?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 19, 2014 at 6:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
embrigmom
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2014 at 6:57 AM

You need your sleep too. There is nothing wrong with him getting up during the night so you can get some sleep. My baby is now 2yrs old, but when she was an infant I breast feed and pumped. Dh would get up with her during the night so I could get some rest, and he worked, he worked and still does work 10hr days mon-fri and then 5hrs on sat. He's always been willing to help me out with her.

askmommy
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2014 at 7:02 AM
2 moms liked this
I got up during the week, and dh on the weekends. That helped balance the sleep. Once I went back to work, I slept in on Sundays, he on Saturdays. 17 years later....we still do this!
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on May. 19, 2014 at 7:04 AM
3 moms liked this
Actually, you should still pump even when the baby has a bottle so your body understands there's still a feeding. So you can keep up your supply.
RadnRem
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2014 at 7:08 AM
I co slept for this reason. Well...it was one of my reasons lol.

I was able to nurse and still get rest.

If I don't have to work....I get up with the baby. Then I can catch a small nap when the baby does. Then when dh got home from work also.

We did this with all of our kids. Worked for us.
tossed
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2014 at 7:10 AM

I would be more concerned with what you are going to do when you go back to work.  I bf and my son was sleeping though the night before 6 weeks, so that was not a big deal for me...fortunately. Are you going to pump at work. I did that and the sitter gave my son my expressed milk. I pumped 3 bottles a day at work.

Good luck. I have no advice other than to plan for when you go back to work. You will both be working and someone will have to get up with the baby if your lo does not sleep through the night. Maybe you can take turns?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 19, 2014 at 7:10 AM
Seriously must be nice. I don't know how I can feel like a single mom when her father is in the same household. It's not like he is working a 10hr work day. I am gonna have to speak with him about stepping up.

Quoting embrigmom:

You need your sleep too. There is nothing wrong with him getting up during the night so you can get some sleep. My baby is now 2yrs old, but when she was an infant I breast feed and pumped. Dh would get up with her during the night so I could get some rest, and he worked, he worked and still does work 10hr days mon-fri and then 5hrs on sat. He's always been willing to help me out with her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 19, 2014 at 7:12 AM
Yes I plan on building my stash now and pumping at work and breastfeeding at night but at least one session I would like for her to take a bottle so I can sleep. She sleeps longer when she gets the bottle. I just want a little more than 3 hrs of sleep is all.

Quoting tossed:

I would be more concerned with what you are going to do when you go back to work.  I bf and my son was sleeping though the night before 6 weeks, so that was not a big deal for me...fortunately. Are you going to pump at work. I did that and the sitter gave my son my expressed milk. I pumped 3 bottles a day at work.

Good luck. I have no advice other than to plan for when you go back to work. You will both be working and someone will have to get up with the baby if your lo does not sleep through the night. Maybe you can take turns?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 19, 2014 at 7:16 AM
I just want one session where I can get a longer stretch of sleep. So I am willing to sacrifice one pump session/breastfeeding session for a longer stretch of sleep. I am not saying the whole night. I plan on breastfeeding at night.

Quoting smorgan865: Actually, you should still pump even when the baby has a bottle so your body understands there's still a feeding. So you can keep up your supply.
curvygurl1912
by Renee on May. 19, 2014 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this
My ex dh had no problem getting up to help me even though I didnt need or ask him too. Our dd was in our room with us and he would sit up and offer. I always told him to go back to sleep but he wanted to help. It wont hurt your baby's father to get his ass up and help you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 19, 2014 at 7:17 AM
We both do sales and we both have semi unconventional hours. Not sure how to balance that put like that I may look into that.

Quoting askmommy: I got up during the week, and dh on the weekends. That helped balance the sleep. Once I went back to work, I slept in on Sundays, he on Saturdays. 17 years later....we still do this!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN