Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has anyone gone through this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies
Were moving to a new house on June 1st.. It's about 1.5 miles away from our current house. My son is 7, in 1st grade and has high functioning autism, SPD and ADHD. He has an IEP and goes to a special after-school program through the YMCA for two hours. He gets counseling once a week with his ESE teacher as well.
Technically, we will be in a different school district--but the schools are the same distance from my house, just in opposite directions. The school that would be his new home school is also ranked a grade letter under what my son's current school is.
My daughter will be starting Kinder this year and I would want them to go to the same school.. Have any of you been able to keep your children at the same school even though their home school is different? I drive my son to school (I am a SAHM, so, this wouldn't be any different) and I pick him up from the after-school program. I would do the same for my daughter (although, she is not SN so I'd pick her up as a car rider).
My husband is going to send me the address of the new home so I can call his school with the information, I was just curious if anyone else has done this?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 19, 2014 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aarensmommy
by New Member on May. 19, 2014 at 8:40 AM

im not sure how it is else where but where i live if you want to send your kids to a public school out of ur school district you have to pay a tuition (20K is what i heard for here) plus is it just a one year thing not permanent. we live in PA.

ff-princess
by Ruby Member on May. 19, 2014 at 8:42 AM

the only way to do that in my school district is to lie, and hope like hell you don't get caught.  you attend the school you're zoned for.

brittc789
by on May. 19, 2014 at 8:44 AM
I've never done it but I've heard here in NY you have to pay if the child is out of district. No idea how much though.
CGM2012
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2014 at 8:47 AM

DS's school will take kids that are just outside its district IF they have room after everyone from their district is registered. Its a good school and they try to get as many in as possible, but kids in the district get first priority for placement.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 19, 2014 at 8:48 AM
My kiddos attend a school out of our school zone but in the same district. It is much farther (we were 5 mins away now we're 20 mins away). We just had to bring then our proof of living in the district still.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 19, 2014 at 8:50 AM
Hmmm. All right. I'll have to call and ask once my husband gives me the address. I know our house number but not the zip and/or city.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 19, 2014 at 8:53 AM
You don't have to lie. Talk the schools administration. You can fill out a form and tell them you feel that a change would cause him problems.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 19, 2014 at 8:57 AM

You have to go to the school you're zoned for,  you might be able to pay tuition and keep going to the old school.  If that school was important to you why didn't you look for houses in that district?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 19, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Here, you attend the school you live in district of. My dd has the same issues as your child, and that is why we refuse to move out of our district. The disruption would be too much for her. I'm impressed that you can keep your son in after school care. My dd's meds are gone by 4. There is no way those programs here would take her. It's actually one of the main reasons why I am a sahm
stacey541
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2014 at 8:58 AM
We don't have to pay or lie. Just fill out a firm and they let you in if they have room-never heard of anyone being turned down.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)