Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Epidurals and IVs...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 137 Replies

I am going to be induced Friday. 

I am just now starting to get REALLY nervous about the epidural.

I am wondering how bad it hurts to get it done initially?

I am extremely phobic of needles...

The other BIG fear I have is the IV...does it hurt?...

I literally have full blown anxiety attacks trying to get blood drawn...

UGH I'm SO NERVOUS...

Posted by Anonymous on May. 19, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 19, 2014 at 9:39 AM
6 moms liked this
Compared to having the actual baby, the epidural and IV are nothing.
smurfy88
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2014 at 9:40 AM
I didn't feel my epidural at all.
jupiter5
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2014 at 9:40 AM
They use a local to numb before putting a needle in your spine. It doesn't hurt at all. Especially competed to contractions
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 19, 2014 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Once you are in labor the contractions trump the pain of the epi. The iv sucks but it doesn't hurt too bad it's more annoying then anything.

TheFairest
by Zombie on May. 19, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Just breath, once the iv is in it doesn't hurt. As for the epidural, once the medicine is in, it stops hurting.
Dee0886
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I felt my epidural. When he put it in he hit a nerve causing my right leg to feel like it was on fire. It hurt so bad. Then he had to take it out and re-insert it. 

As far as the IV goes, yeah, it's very uncomfortable the frist hour or so it's in and definitely when they take it out. 

Having my 3rd baby with zero meds and not all hooked up was 1000x better than going through all that mess.

redneckmama4
by Loree on May. 19, 2014 at 9:43 AM
I've heard petocin induction is the worst, that would worry me. My back was numbed up before the spinal for my csection. Iv's suck, they just do.

sjenkins8208
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Well considering I'm not afraid of a needle....I'd say neither hurt. My contractions were much more frequent and painful than the 30 sec, or less, that it took for the epidural to go in. And considering you're being induced, your contractions will probably be a lot more painful than mine!! Lol just embrace the epidural, you'll do great
bothsidesofcoin
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2014 at 9:43 AM
The iv isn't too bad unless you are a difficult stick. You don't have to have an epidural to have a baby.
funny_girl3
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2014 at 9:46 AM

They will position you so that you can't see the epidural needle go in.  It didn't really hurt, especially when compared to labor pains.  The IV is a pinch, about the same as a blood draw, but it stops hurting once they have the IV in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)