Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just read a really scary blog post on Facebook

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 157 Replies
7 moms liked this

Secondary Drowning.  Do you know what that is?  I think I may have heard of it but never really registered how dangerous it is because there isn't a whole lot of warning that it may be happening to your child.  If your child has a close call, falling into the pool, the tub, or even a puddle and come up coughing and sputtering there is a chance that this could happen to them.  They act fine, normal, right after the incident but then can become lethargic, overly sleepy and unresponsive.  Some parents, horrifcally, put their children to sleep thinking they are just tired only to have their children never wake up again.  Please take precautions, it only takes one second for a child to slip under the water.  Pay attention to symptoms, trust your mommy instincts and call your child's dr immediately.  It gave me goosebumps to read the blog and I just wanted to inform other moms out there that this is something that can happen to anyone.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 23, 2014 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinkfairy0206
by on May. 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM
2 moms liked this
Wow, didn't know this!
dominic062407
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2014 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Read about this before. It's very scary!
PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on May. 23, 2014 at 8:17 AM

I've heard about this, ONCE and I'm pretty sure it was on here. Scary stuff.

catcameback
by on May. 23, 2014 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never heard of that.  Wow. Thanks for sharing.

DawnPratt23
by on May. 23, 2014 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes Ive heard about it, dry drowning is the name. Heres an article on a boy that dry drowned. http://www.today.com/id/24982210/ns/today-today_health/t/boys-death-highlights-hidden-danger-dry-drowning/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizlaughlove
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2014 at 8:23 AM

I know that this a true thing. That's why I thought it was stupid for someone I know not letting her son go the hospital after he really did drown. He drowned in a pond, and had to be resuscitated by EMT's at the scene. They wanted to take him to the hospital to make sure he was in the clear. She said that since God brought him back, that he wasn't going. Thankfully, she was right about him being ok. 

.sp4rkl3z.
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2014 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this
This is the one I heard about. It terrifies me.

Quoting DawnPratt23: Yes Ive heard about it, dry drowning is the name. Heres an article on a boy that dry drowned. http://www.today.com/id/24982210/ns/today-today_health/t/boys-death-highlights-hidden-danger-dry-drowning/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyKarma
by on May. 23, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Yeah I have read about that and I hate it. It has even happened to kids who DIDN'T have falls in water, and where just bathing or swimming and got a little in their mouths!! I believe it is called dry drowning.

jglasser7682
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Yep. I've heard of it. They also call it "Dry Drowning" and "Delayed Drowning".

libsterdoodle
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2014 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this

I read this same blog post.  It is totally scary!!  We spend just about every single waking moment all summer long at our local pool as a family, my kids are little water babies!!  This is good information to have!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN