Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

RE: IF YOUR CHILDREN DO CHORES

Posted by on May. 23, 2014 at 8:58 AM
  • 66 Replies
31 moms liked this

I understand everyone must parent their own way, but to accuse parents who have their children do chores of being lazy is an unfair statement.  It is rare that I am offended, but the mere thought of being called lazy because I am teaching my child a life skill more than upsets me.

First off, I am a hard working mom.  When my child was born, I worked 70 hours a week.  I pumped while I worked, maintained 15million dollars of warehouse inventories, did business analysis, pumped at work several times a day so my chidl could be breastfed, can home, played with her for the short time she was awake, cleaned the house, prepared the next day's meals (so my husband could have it ready by the time I got home) and managed to get in 3 hours of sleep before starting all over.  When my child was two, an opportunity presented itself to me to tell my job adios, and I landed a sweet job as a part time accounts payable clerk at a non profit.  Less stress, less time at work, more time with my child.  That ended up leading to 2 hour trips to the park nearly daily, walking and hiking trips, festivals, events, and various other kid things that she was interested in.  We would then come home, and I would start cleaning...and being the ever so helpful child, she insisted on helping.  Who was I to say no?  So, we did chores together, we cooked together, we played together.  And my child still maintained being a child.  And I still was running on very little down time as I was making sure my child could be a child.

Having my child help me do chores isn't lazy.  She insists on it and loves to help out.  It is amazing to see her self pride when she accomplishes something as sweeping the floor.  You cannot image how proud of herself she is and how amazing it is to watch her realize she is capable of something she never thought she could do.  A lot of children today have the mentality that they deserve things and everything should be handed to them.  Where as I love to shower my child with gifts as much as the next parent, I am well aware that doing so all the time without reason can lead to a very selfish and self centered child.  And NO one wants to be around a brat.

Having children do chores teaches them life skills that will help them as they grow into adults and give them the tools nessecary to become productive members of society instead of leeches on society.  It teaches them teamwork, time management, organization, self pride, confidence, responsibility, accountability, and so many other life skills.  We send our children to school for teacher to teach and often times, think it ends there.  Teachers are not meant to teach our children; they are meant to enhance what the parents SHOULD be teaching and better the skills that the parents are unable to properly teach.  Too many parents make that mistake and then blame the teachers when the children fail.  Parents need to take accountability for their faults as parents (we ALL make mistakes) and teach our children those mistakes so they can learn from them.  if not, we are setting them up for failure as adults.

And THAT is true laziness.  Something as simple as chores will not take a child's childhood away.  But it will enhance his or her life for years to come.  So, my apologizes if I am a responisble parent who is raising a child with the mentality of "I earned this" instead of "I deserved this."  It is such a horrible thing to do to my kid.

Rant out.

***EDIT***

I keep getting asked why I felt I had to defend myself against an anon or why I let her get to me.  In truth, my upset lasted less time than it took to type this post.  The thought of someone calling me lazy, even indirectly, DID offend me, but seriously, it was less than 2 minutes before I was over it.  A person hiding behind a computer screen that I will never see has no long term or lasting effect on me.  That being said, once I had started this post, I had to see it through.  I've been chatty lately, having recently closed on a house, and I think I just wanted to hear myself talk (or this case, see myself write) and this was a topic I could go in great length on.  :D

by on May. 23, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cassie2115
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Well said!!
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on May. 23, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree, I'm raising DS to be self sufficient. I'd rather not do his laundry and clean his toliet when he's 30.
imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2014 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Meh, lots of times I will give my kids chores  because I just plain don't want to do them myself. I have no problem admitting that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 23, 2014 at 9:02 AM

omg the bullies got to you. dont worry about them , their lives suck and needed to feel better about it by calling someone lazy.

My kids do chores as well as my dh. Infact I made a huge dinner last night and dh cleaned the kitchen. Hey if that makes me lazy , so be it.

lacyd75_anew
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2014 at 9:03 AM
I agree
Cbreland07
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Although I agree, you might want to take a step back from cm..
ramita
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2014 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree, I have 3 counting my SS who is here all the time. They all do chores. However most of their chores are directly related to their messes or what they use so it is more just cleaning up after themselves than anything.
momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2014 at 9:05 AM
Well said!!!
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 23, 2014 at 9:06 AM

I MADE MY 6 YO DAUGHTER CLEAN HER ROOM YESTERDAY.

THE HORROR, THE HOOORRRRORRRR!!!!

:O

myloveismyfaith
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2014 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this
Definitely agree! My daughter, like yours, loves to help me out. Whenever I sweep she gets upset with me because she wants to do it herself. Just yesterday she decided that she was going to mop the floor herself while I took a shower... only she used her jacket.... she loves to cook and help me with the laundry and I have no problem letting her! She gets such a prideful look and has a ton of fun. Not to mention if you don't teach your children how to do chores it's only going to hurt them when they can't fend for themselves as adults on their own. Some people just can't see beyond their own shallow bubble and need to judge others for ridiculously trivial reasons. They're just not worth getting worked up over!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)