Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you ever ban social media from your wedding?

Posted by on May. 23, 2014 at 9:05 AM
  • 48 Replies

More Brides Are Banning THIS at Their Weddings & Guests May Not Like It

by Rebecca Stokes

brides who ban phones from weddingsSocial media and marriage. They don't quite go together like a horse and carriage -- at least not for everyone. While some couples use social media to share their kooky engagements or encourage folks to use hashtags during their reception, more and more couples are going the other way and forbidding the use of social media altogether when it comes to celebrating their special day.

David's Bridal's annual "What's on Brides' Minds" survey found that 44% of all brides think there needs to be more rules when it comes to cellphones being used at their nuptials! Could it be that we're finally regaining control of our lives? That we're finally all admitting to technological fatigue? I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping and praying it's true.

More fuel to the fire of banning cellphones? Kim Kardashian and Kanye West aren't allowing any cellphones at their wedding. And guess what? Fourteen percent of brides polled have decided to follow suit! Could it be? Have Kim and Kanye started a wedding trend I can actually get behind?

Does this poll show a changing tide in the way we use our cellphones at special events like weddings? Maybe, that's definitely one way things could be going. But then again, maybe not.

“It is hard to escape the presence of social media, and many brides use it to announce their engagement and as a key tool during the wedding planning process,” said Brian Beitler, Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer at David’s Bridal. Hmmm, that doesn't exactly sound like a death knell, does it?

I don't think social media or cellphones should be banned from special events altogether, don't get me wrong. But I do think that by and large, brides who do banish this stuff from the premises are doing so because people have no basic understanding of MANNERS anymore. I hate to sound like someone's grandma, but tweeting during vows is just tacky -- if you want to cyber-toast the couple at the reception, that's another thing altogether.

Would you ever ban social media from your wedding?

by on May. 23, 2014 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
qje42409
by on May. 23, 2014 at 9:07 AM

No, that's silly.

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on May. 23, 2014 at 9:09 AM
3 moms liked this

I think there is a time and place for facebook fanatics to be on their accounts, and weddings are not it. BUT- To FORBID someone from using their phone? Ill be damned.

The kimye wedding thing is so utterly ridiculous. They really think theyre something, dont they!?

And, we all know it is so they have the sole pictures, to sell them for big bucks, of course.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 23, 2014 at 9:10 AM

lmao social media wasnt a big thing when I got married . ( 1997)

sheena696
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2014 at 9:14 AM
2 moms liked this

The fact that people would even have to consider banning social media from weddings is what is ridiculous. Having to make special requests like that because people have gotten so rude and inconsiderate is just sad. If someone can't put their phone down long enough to be a guest at a wedding, then they should just keep their butts home anyway. What's the point of going if you are going to keep your nose in your phone? I can't imagine having a problem with someone saying not to bring a phone in to their wedding. 

Callaly
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2014 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this

I completely agree and think that its a good idea!

When you are using socail media at weddings, because you are a guest you may find the time more while you are attending the wedding rather than the actually wedding party and bride and groom. As a guest its possible that you can post unflattering pictures or just any picture of the wedding and the bride won't be able to be the FIRST to show off HER specail day to friends and family that couldn't make it.

I think that banning phones alllll together is a little extreme but I will DEF. be requesting that there is NO socail media at my wedding, I will inform my guests that they may take pictures, but no posting not until I have posted or put up my own pictures first!

imthatgirl0607
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2014 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this
Obviously Kanye and Kim don't want cell phones, thats a picture issue. I think it's rather silly for the average person to declare no cell phone use at their wedding.
SnapIt
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2014 at 9:24 AM
It would make me wonder about the bride if this is her wish
Poor groom if he doesnt really care

Control issues????
highlandmum
by Spunky on May. 23, 2014 at 9:25 AM
4 moms liked this

It is common manners.  Texting, tweeting, or just being on your cell phone is rude in some cases and this is definitely one of them.  Cell phones do not belong in church, during a wedding, funeral, art performance, or during a meal for example.

It is all together rude.  I cannot believe that people have to even request that these devices be left off during a event like this.  During the reception I think they are fine as long as they are not being used during - the dinner, speeches, or first dances.  Please show some manners.

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2014 at 9:26 AM
Thankfully, that didn't exist when I was married. I think I wouldn't want it at my wedding, it's a violation of my privacy. I don't have FB or Twitter accounts precisely because I don't want to share every moment of my life with total strangers. I hate it when someone posts a picture if me without my permission, but obviously it's something I can't prevent.
I wouldn't want to ban cellphones from my wedding, because they may be needed, especially if it's a child-free wedding. But what many places do have here (especially religious places like churches or synagogues) is cell signal blockers, so you can't use it during the ceremony- and the reception if it's held in the same building.
Ginger0104
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2014 at 9:27 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think people should HAVE to say no cell phones at their wedding.  Incredibly rude for someone to be on their phone in the first place. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)