Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

They failed me ***edit questions answered

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 64 Replies
My medical team! In feb my therapist of 5 years left the practice my pcp failed to refer me to a new therapist within the practice. Then my Ob failed to see my needs & I ended up delivering my own baby two weeks early all alone in the hospital just a day before my first child's birthday. My first child passed away so the timing was a huge trigger for my PTSD & I have a history of ppd. I have my 6 week pp visit finally this week I feel do sad I never smile I just can't shake this funk! I feel lost disconnected or in a fog all the time! I have unexplained aches & pains all the time. I don't enjoy things!

I can't get over the fact that in one of America's 50th best hospitals I had to deliver my baby all alone! I had to unwrap my baby's umbilical cord from her neck not once but 3 times!!! I'm traumatized by the lack of medical support I had! I feel like my uterus is falling out I'm so scared to go to my pp check up. I don't feel confident my obgyn can properly care for me. I don't want to see the dr that was sleeping while I was catching my baby & unwrapping the cord from her tiny neck.

Am I wrong for feeling this way? My dh just doesn't understand he thinks I should get over it but I just can't.

**** edit so I don't have to keep repeating myself!
I had been bouncing on the ball for 40 min the nurse had just came in to hook me up to the monitor. While on the monitor I notice the baby's heart rate kept going crazy very high then very low. I asked the nurse she said it was fine, I told her my contractions were getting much much closer together & stronger. She said it was normal! I asked when I would be checked to see how far dialated I was she said 2 hours! Then left the room! While still on the ball hanging onto the end of the bed I turn to dh inbetween contractions and on the verge of tears say "I was hoping to be holding our baby within two hours" he tells me everything will be ok. Another contraction comes & goes I feel lots of pressure thinking I just have to pee I stand up from the ball. My legs start to shake uncontrollably and I realize I can not walk. I attempt to climb on the bed on all 4's. I feel lots of pressure I reach my hand down and the bag of waters is buldging out of me, I keep pressing I feel the head. I tell dh to go get the nurse, he attempts to fiddle with the button I sternly say go get the nurse who had walked out of the room maybe 5 min prior to all this. While he's getting the nurse I attempt to get in a better position on the bed. While I'm turning from my all 4 position which was really knees & 1 arm because I was holding the baby in with the other hand. With my butt on the bed my left leg bent & my right leg under me I caught my daughter. My husband had just walked into the room followed by the nurse. As I unwrapped the cord I yelled for the shocked nurse to suction the airways. She yelled for help another nurse runs in the both stare at us. The water must have broken during my changing positions because it happened so fast almost like the gush of water helped the baby come right out. I was trying not to push but my body had other plans. So yes it's very possible to deliver a baby alone in a hospital. This was at Falmouth hospital in Falmouth MA. Dr Susan Anderegg was the Ob on call and while this happened at aprox 4:30-4:45 am she was sleeping! She came in to deliver the placenta & stitch me up about 10 min after. The nurses didnt even know the time of birth. They had to go back and guess based on when I got off the monitor. My due date was April 26, I delivered April 12. My last baby I was at the hospital 15 min before I delivered! They should have known I go fast! It was my 5th baby and smallest baby weighting 6lbs &10oz 18.5 inches long. My boys were 7lb 2 oz, 7lb 4oz, 7lb 6oz then my last was 7lbs 15oz!

I have put several calls in to the pcp & the director of the behavioral health dept at the practice I go to. Finally my physiatrist went to the director for me I should be getting an appointment soon. There's no way with my history of PTSD, dissociation, anxiety, depression & ppd I should have had to wait till now for a therapist my therapist left on thursdat feb 13 & my last apt was Monday feb 10. Almost 4 months since I have seen someone! I have seen only my psychiatrist twice and he just prescribes my Prozac.

I filled out the survey that the hospital sent me & I wrote down that the dr & nurses were not present for my birth I gave my contact info I'm hoping they contact me. I'm so overwhelmed by this. I have my pp check up this coming Thursday my daughter is 6 weeks old today.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jennifer_236
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2014 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry that you have gone through all that. With the hospital I would file a complaint about what you went through.
AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2014 at 12:34 AM
You're not wrong. I'd file a report like Jennifer suggested.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 24, 2014 at 1:02 AM
2 moms liked this
How exactly do you deliver your own baby, let alone IN a hospital? That sounds a wee bit far fetched.?
kaybayblee3
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Did they just have you off in a corner room? Did you try to call for a nurse? What hospital is this that this happened? But I would file a report on the staff.

thePBandJmom
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2014 at 1:06 AM

I would feel the same way Hun.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 24, 2014 at 1:07 AM
ame85
by Chemistry cat on May. 24, 2014 at 1:09 AM
Is this real life?

I'd have been screaming bloody murder. I hope you filed a complaint? Please tell me you filed a complaint.

Oh, and you can get meds for your PPD.
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on May. 24, 2014 at 1:09 AM

call a lawyer. If you get a plan in action that validates your feelings of being treated wrong then you will start to feel more confident and happy. Im sorry this happened to you and cant believe in this day and age its possible!

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2014 at 1:09 AM

How could you deliver your baby in a hospital and no one know? Why didn't you follow up on with the referral? Report the hospital staff to who veers in charge. Report the the non referral to the office manger at the Dr office. 

gtubemommy2012
by Member on May. 24, 2014 at 1:13 AM
File a complaint against the Dr with the medical board.
Get yourself a new Dr for pp, and tell them you need help dealing with this. I'm so sorry about your 1st child, I've had 2 miscarriages, so I know a small fraction of what you are going through.
Get your husband to help care for the baby more, and give you more support...maybe show him some information about ppd online, take him with you to your new dr appt and have them tell him how he can help you.
hope you feel better soon *hugs*
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)