Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you lock up your dogs when company comes over?

Posted by on May. 24, 2014 at 12:53 AM
  • 175 Replies
If you had family over that has a young child who is terrified of dogs would you put the dog in a seperate area from the child or do you leave the dog out and let the company deal with it or leave?

Is asking a dog owner to put the dog somewhere seperate over the line?
by on May. 24, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on May. 24, 2014 at 12:54 AM
I don't have dogs but I always put my cats up when we have company.
zeezoo
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2014 at 12:55 AM

My dogs are well behaved and I would not have to worry.

I think it would depend though. If I knew the child coming was terrified I'd put the dogs outside before company came over. 

zeezoo
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2014 at 12:57 AM
6 moms liked this

On an added note. I love my dogs and treat them like family. IMO though, they are dogs and children are humans. I would not force a child to suffer a phobia when my dogs are just as happy outside or elsewhere.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 24, 2014 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't have dogs but my dds puppy is harmless.
SnortysMom
by CatMarie on May. 24, 2014 at 12:58 AM
1 mom liked this

If we had someone come over and was terrified of dogs, then I'd either leave our dog in the bedroom with the door closed or I'd leave him out in the backyard while they were here. 

dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2014 at 12:59 AM
2 moms liked this

if its a kid thats terrified, i'll send them to another room. usually i'll start with just having them lay down in their beds but if the kid is still scared (which honestly kinda annoys me if the dog isnt doing anything) i'll have the dogs go to my room or outside. all 3 of my dogs are gentle, they dont jump, and they'll leave you alone if you tell them to go away. but of the 2 always in the living room (bosco always hangs out in micahs room, hes old and lazy), abby (chiweenie) doesnt really like new people and will go to her crate (not her bed) on her own. dosia (pit) thinks everyone should love him and is very friendly, but i understand hes big, especially to a small child.

if its an adult, they'll have to deal with the dogs in their beds. im not sending them outside for that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 24, 2014 at 1:00 AM
No I wouldn't. It's not my problem that your kid ks making demands in my house. Don't come over, then.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 24, 2014 at 1:00 AM

I actually have a baby gate I keep for that reason.  I don't allow the dog in the bedrooms, so I just put the gate between the kitchen and living room, and keep her in the kitchen if someone is uncomfortable.  It rarely happens though, she is a very sweet older Jack Russell, but one of DD's friends is scared of dogs in general.

BestSNEver
by on May. 24, 2014 at 1:01 AM
Thank you for your response. My dd is terrified of dogs (she's 7 yrs old) and I would always ask my sister to put her dog outside in the backyard when we visited.

Recently I've noticed we have not been invited over and my sister told me it's because she doesn't want to put her dog up and said her dog is great with kids and I shouldn't worry because she knows I've taught my kids not to like pull and poke animals.

I started wondering if maybe I was in the wrong.

Quoting zeezoo:

On an added note. I love my dogs and treat them like family. IMO though, they are dogs and children are humans. I would not force a child to suffer a phobia when my dogs are just as happy outside or elsewhere.

fatcat0908
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2014 at 1:01 AM
No, but I don't have to "lock" him up. I can just send him to another room and he will stay until called.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)