Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are trailers really that bad?

Posted by on May. 24, 2014 at 6:19 PM
  • 354 Replies
1 mom liked this
update:
1.I guessits amobile home not trailer lol.
2.Its on a foundation.
3. We are in Olympia wa not tornado alley.
4. Checked out the park yesterday and its not ghetto, trashy or drug filled. Unless you count all of the oldpeoples meds because that's the majority of the residents. Or pot. Which I don't count.
5. We would keep it, not sell. Probably move itonto land and rent it out.

Ever since dh was in the army wr have moved every 12 months. This current rental was supposed to stop that until we are ready to buy, but with my psycho dad only getting worse that's not going to happen. So we are moving again. O

Dh is considering buying a trailer for 45000. Wr have that in cash. Well one trip to the bank and we could lol. So that would leave us with the lot rent and utilities. This would also enable us to live pretty freely, pay off our (healthy) debt, and would-be easy to move out of and rent when we build our house after dh inherits. 4.5 years. Fiscally, its a great choice but ITS A TRAILER. I don't want to be considered trashy. Its in a great park, great schools, good community, fenced backyard, recently renovated....

So I dunno. What would you do? Are they that bad?
by on May. 24, 2014 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2014 at 6:22 PM

No they're not bad. I would definitely do it for a starter home and to get out of debt. I would definitely live in one to have great schools and a good neighborhood too.

PollyPockette
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2014 at 6:37 PM
Debt repayment isn't our biggest concern really. Our debt is two cards, gas card, and student loans. Basically its under 20,000. My idea is that its inexpensive. We would have a lot of play money. Which is good because crazy has destroyed most of our furniture and belongings. So we could easily replace our stuff ans still afford lots of extra fun stuff. It seems like a no brainer, but ITS still a trailer.

Quoting littlesippycup:

No they're not bad. I would definitely do it for a starter home and to get out of debt. I would definitely live in one to have great schools and a good neighborhood too.

Cantthinkofone3
by Member on May. 24, 2014 at 6:39 PM
4 moms liked this
I live in Tornado alley so yes, they are bad here.
Famousglm714
by Gina on May. 24, 2014 at 6:40 PM
2 moms liked this
It depends on the state or land they're located on. I'm in Michigan and I've seen some scary looking trailer parks that I wouldn't even want to drive through.

On the other hand, in South Carolina they have some decent looking trailers on huge, beautiful pieces of land.
almburr
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2014 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Is it a trailer still on the wheels or a single or double wide set on foundation?

If it's in a great area with a yard and in a great school area. Why not.

Pink.Frosting
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2014 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

The bad ones are really bad and the nice ones can be pretty nice.  So it just depends on what you get.

BrutalTruth
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2014 at 6:41 PM
To snobby jerk offs I'm sure they're bad. I've lived in a trailer. It was awesome. Mostly bc I was fresh out of highschool and rent was 400, we split it with another couple, and it was huuuuge.
Anywho, I dont get the stigma. There's tons of trailer parks here, and they're all relatively crime free areas. Not all, but most.
Beyonce1
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2014 at 6:42 PM
I think it is a smart idea.
Beyonce1
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2014 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm in a trailer right now :-) I like it better than my house.
JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2014 at 6:42 PM
7 moms liked this
The do depreciate in value - that would be my only concern.
Honestly I would go with a nice RV so you could move it around with you when you move... And keep it to travel for fun in when done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)