Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How did you decide what's best?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 82 Replies
How did you decide which career would be best for your family? Did you decide before or after kids? Did you have to make a career change? Are you happy with your decision?
What is your current career?! :0)
Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 24, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Bump
owl0210
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2014 at 10:24 PM
I was in my career before marriage and kids and didn't want to start a family until after graduating from college and being financially secure. I've been a Paralegal for 10 years.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 25, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 25, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I had been in a career as an admin assistant before I met my husband, and it was supporting my son and I just fine.  after dh and I got married, we had two more kids and then I got laid off.  after taking some time from the workforce, I attempted to re-enter in a similar line.  but with the recession, employers are requiring at least a bachelor's to work as an admin, and I don't have one.  so I have no option but to return to school.

I had a new career in mind, and have gone to school for a year now to get the pre-reqs out of the way.  I went to an orientation a couple of months ago, and while I was there I determined that this was not the right path for me for numerous reasons.  so in less than two days, I completely changed my major, and added a year and a half to the time I'll be in school.  the pre-reqs that I've already taken do not apply to this degree, though it will be helpful in one way or another.  I've got until October to apply for nursing school and hope I get one of 40 spots for the spring rotation.  until then, I have different pre-reqs to take for that.

as for how I decided what was best for my family, my dh told me that what makes me happy is what's best for our family.  the rest is just details to figure out.  and he couldn't be more proud of the direction I've decided to go.  he said I should be a trauma nurse, because I'm bitchy enough.  love him!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 25, 2014 at 4:48 PM
So you are going for nursing now, what were you originally going for and why did you change your mind?

Quoting Anonymous:

I had been in a career as an admin assistant before I met my husband, and it was supporting my son and I just fine.  after dh and I got married, we had two more kids and then I got laid off.  after taking some time from the workforce, I attempted to re-enter in a similar line.  but with the recession, employers are requiring at least a bachelor's to work as an admin, and I don't have one.  so I have no option but to return to school.

I had a new career in mind, and have gone to school for a year now to get the pre-reqs out of the way.  I went to an orientation a couple of months ago, and while I was there I determined that this was not the right path for me for numerous reasons.  so in less than two days, I completely changed my major, and added a year and a half to the time I'll be in school.  the pre-reqs that I've already taken do not apply to this degree, though it will be helpful in one way or another.  I've got until October to apply for nursing school and hope I get one of 40 spots for the spring rotation.  until then, I have different pre-reqs to take for that.

as for how I decided what was best for my family, my dh told me that what makes me happy is what's best for our family.  the rest is just details to figure out.  and he couldn't be more proud of the direction I've decided to go.  he said I should be a trauma nurse, because I'm bitchy enough.  love him!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 25, 2014 at 4:53 PM
I'm a teacher. I decided on this career when I was in high school and finished my masters right before DS was born. Yes, I'm happy with my choice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 25, 2014 at 4:55 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 25, 2014 at 5:22 PM

I was going to go for surgical technology, which sounds like a really neat job.  you scrub in the doc, prep the patient, bring them in, have the room set up, pass instruments to the doc, maintain sterility and instrument counts, and clean up afterwards.  and it's a great job, but it's not for me for a few reasons.

1.  the program is currently a certificate through this college.  in the next two years, it will become a degree program, and none of the classes you take for the cert are transferrable to the degree because they're abbreviated classes.  also, none of the classes for the cert will transfer to another college for the same reason.  I'd basically be going to school for a year to end up five years later in the same spot I'm in now - even with experience, I can't compete because I don't have a degree.  this is the only local school that offers a certificate; the only college to offer an associate's is not respected (you basically pay for your degree, no matter your grades) and you might as well have no education at all.

2.  there is no room for advancement in this role without further education.  see #1.

3.  when you boil it all down, this role is basically the CNA of the OR.  there are people who are great at that and love it, and there's certainly a need for them.  but I need more than that.  more responsibility, more variety, just more.

I'm glad I went to the orientation, it was invaluable and kept me from wasting a year of my life and being miserable and unemployable two years later.  I'm expecting my acceptance letter in the next week, I know I have the most points out of their scoring system.  I'll give my spot up to someone else who will appreciate it more.  there were 65 people who filed a letter of intent.  they invited 36 to the orientation (you have to be pre-qualified).  28 showed up, there are only 14 seats this year.

luckily there was an info session for the nursing program at the school I'm at right now a few days after the orientation.  I was able to secure a seat, and am sure I can excel at this.  there are so very many different directions I can go from here.  I can sit for the RN exam after I graduate with my AAS.  the school has an agreement with several local universities where they will take the associates degree and transfer every credit.  they will also freeze your tuition at the rate it's at when you enroll, even if you don't actually attend for another 5 years.  and they will allow you to take a lot of the general ed requirements at the community college, at their lower rate, and accept the credits towards your bachelors.  many graduates get hired directly into one of their clinical sites upon completion of the exam. 

seemed like a no-brainer to me.  and dh is a paramedic, so he totally gets what I'm going to be going through for the next couple of years.  he couldn't be more supportive, and I don't think I could do it without him standing firmly behind me.  he certainly picked up the slack around here when it was finals time and is willing to take the girls elsewhere to play so I can study or do homework.

Quoting Anonymous: So you are going for nursing now, what were you originally going for and why did you change your mind?
Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 25, 2014 at 5:27 PM
I went to school for Criminal Justice with plans to attend law school after my undergrad.

I got my bachelors in 3 years and then took a year off for a break. I started working in Human Resources as a team and now I manage the department.

In the mean time, after my year off after undergrad, I took the LSAT and applied for law school. I found out I was pregnant the same week I found out I got in. I had my son during my first year. I now have one year left of law school, and have 5 years of Human Resources work experience. I have several options now for the future. I'm glad everything worked out the way it did.

I'm marrying my sons father next month!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)