Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I kind of chewed my kids principal out for not giving her an award.

Posted by on May. 26, 2014 at 12:37 AM
  • 730 Replies
4 moms liked this
My dd is 11. She is going into middle school next yr. The 5th graders are doing an award ceremony this yr for academics. Dd has special needs but has made B honor roll all yr. At all of her IEP meeting all I hear is how great she's doing in school how much progress she is making and how improved she has become. All her teachers say how proud they are of her and everything.
Dd is also in the excelling math group during math class and gets the highest scores on math test. This has been reported on report cards.
Dd is on the special Olympics swim team and she is making for state the same day as the award ceremony. I was going to keep her home from school to prepare her for SO next Friday until I learned about the award ceremony. I emailed the principle and asked if dd was going to get an award at the ceremony.
I got a phone call from the principle saying that the teacher told her there is one award dd qualifies for (great improvement.) but will not be receiving because the teacher says dd has trouble staying on task and completing work. This was all in voicemail.
I say and thought about it for a bit and decided to email the principle. I told her that my daughter has worked hard all yr she's tried her best and all ive heard is how improved she has become how hard she's trying and that her math scores are the best in class. Yet now your telling me she's not doing good enough for an improvement award. I think that's unfair and such a negative message how do we teach our kids try your best when they do and someone else says well that was good bit not good enough. I told her dd will be staying home next Friday and preparing for SO because she gets to spend a whole weekend decided to honoring her and her peers for how hard they have worked all year.
Was I won't for sending that? Would you be mad. Dh typically tells me to back down and let the kids learn that they can't always win but in this situation even he agreed with me.
by on May. 26, 2014 at 12:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 26, 2014 at 12:39 AM
74 moms liked this

umm really you actually asked for and got mad that your kid didnt get an award?  who the hell does that? oh wait you new mommies , thats who.

brianard90
by Member on May. 26, 2014 at 12:40 AM
11 moms liked this
If there is another child that improved more then yes you were wrong for sending it. Good for her for all her hard work, but no she didnt deserve the award. Sorry.
Lostinindy
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2014 at 12:41 AM
3 moms liked this
I don't believe in backing down were the school is involved. I would be pissed, I wouldn't be sending an email. It would be a voicemail and they would know my displeasure. I swear the school has pictures of me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MilkLover0203
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2014 at 12:41 AM
66 moms liked this
Why should children be awarded for mediocrity?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 26, 2014 at 12:42 AM
9 moms liked this
Good Lord. Are you a new mom or what?? You're way out of line. She didn't earn the award. Get over it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 26, 2014 at 12:43 AM
6 moms liked this
Okay...so you're mad because she didn't qualify for an award? I mean...she didn't qualify. Don't be ridiculous. I assume the kids are rewarded for excellence, and not based on what their parents think they did.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 26, 2014 at 12:43 AM
I agree with your dh. They can't always win and they need to know they have to work really hard (and should have to) for a special recognition/award.
Maks1mommy
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2014 at 12:43 AM
5 moms liked this
No, you were wrong. Sorry. I'm sure your dd is a rock star though (not being a bitch, I promise)
Dabrutiful1
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2014 at 12:43 AM
4 moms liked this
You were as wrong as 2 left shoes!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 26, 2014 at 12:44 AM
7 moms liked this
Why? How are they wrong? The girl didn't earn an award this time. Maybe next time.

Quoting Lostinindy: I don't believe in backing down were the school is involved. I would be pissed, I wouldn't be sending an email. It would be a voicemail and they would know my displeasure. I swear the school has pictures of me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)