Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

College is a scam

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this
I think education is very important. I understand the value of higher education, but I also see it as a big scam.
You need a degree to get a good job, yet you can't find a good job with one either, and you're stuck with so much debt.

A degree also does not equal knowledge, nor does no degree equal no knowledge.
I'm very tired of people with college educations using the wrong words and spelling words incorrectly, not knowing where some states are located, not knowing basic history, and science.
There are people who know just as much, if not more than college educated people from self study, yet it means absolutely nothing if they didn't pay thousands of dollars for it.

Abraham Lincoln was a lawyer and he was self taught from fifth grade on. Would someone be able to sit for the bar today without having gone to law school?

Do you think a degree outweighs knowledge?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 26, 2014 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Loveavision
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2014 at 8:17 AM
I agree with you completely.
SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2014 at 8:19 AM
So, did you go to college? Do you have a degree?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 26, 2014 at 8:20 AM
2 moms liked this
Unless you are in the medical field...
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 26, 2014 at 8:21 AM
Maybe it's a scam in some ways. Hell the for profits are always a scam aren't they? Only problem is HR wants to see that piece of paper and they won't be hiring you in a lot of places if you don't have it!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 26, 2014 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

There is going to be a tipping point soon.  We currently see many universities like MIT offering every course online for free.  When the business world catches up to that, we will begin to see a shift. 

I think trade chool can be equally as beneficial to a college degree. 

The biggest scam, IMO, are for-profit schools.  Their students hold the lion's share of the debt and default on those loans more than any other segment, because they can't get a job in their field, because MOST employers look at those "degrees" as crap.

Foolynroo2
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2014 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this

College doesn't make someone flawless, they can still use bad grammar and misspell things.

I think there are experience and exercises that you go through in college that are definitely helpful in life.

I am 41 years old and only on my second semester in college and I see the application in my life already.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 26, 2014 at 8:26 AM

I wouldn't say it's a scam, but it's not the right choice for a lot of people. Some would be better served by going to a trade school, etc.

i don't have a degree.  I quit college with one year to go when the opportunity of a lifetime job popped up.  There have been a few times that I regretted not earning that piece of paper, but overall it hasn't affected my life negatively. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 26, 2014 at 8:26 AM
I would have to agree. I think trade schools should be pushed more. There are many people who don't need a 4 year degree nor can they really focus to truly earn it
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 26, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Every job that I've held since graduating HS has required at minimum a BA that I do not possess. All great paying, working for private corps, corporate America and federal government agencies.  I've always been the youngest and have supervised/managed ppl twice my age with Masters and Doctorates even.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 26, 2014 at 8:28 AM
2 moms liked this
A degree tells an employer lots of things. It shows that the person has a well-rounded education. It shows commitment and sacrifice. It shows the ability of critical thinking, problem solving, and speaking on one's feet.

It is true that you can obtain or possess all of these things without college. But how will you prove that on an application? Earning a degree shows that through the school's accreditation. It's so much more than just a piece of paper.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)