Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Job searching makes me feel like an idiot

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Seriously. I always feel so stupid when I'm setting up my resume. I always think that what I have to put on my resume isn't enough, and that my cover letters are lame and should be better. And I hate those applications where you go through a personality test because I'm always sure, afterwards, that I answered the questions wrong, somehow, and that I won't get the job because of that.

How long have most applications only been accepted online, anyway?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 26, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caustinb
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2014 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this
You just have to spin it better. Exaggeration is your friend, lying is not. Fine line.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 26, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Well the problem is you and how you percieve yourself. What you put out there is what others see, if you choose not to be proud of anything you put on your resume .

jlbelknap35
by Jessica on May. 26, 2014 at 10:58 AM
Ugh I feel the same way :-(
witzandglitz
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2014 at 10:59 AM
I am a career counselor and resume writer. To make your resume stand out you need to list your accomplishments in the job, not only duties. How did you personally help the company sell something, make something, or service something.
Torihoney5njn
by Kristy on May. 26, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Personality tests just indicate how you manage conflict and interact with others, basically. If you answer them "wrong" there's a good chance you may be a psycho.

I'm sure you do fine.

The trick with resumes is to add key words that lend themselves to the position you are applying for. That's how you get the interview. HR generally runs them through a program that is looking for those words.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 26, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Ok this might help you to relax a bit.Do fake applications. Put down things you know will not get hired. Example your name is candy and you worked on the corner on mount and Hudson. Your specials are blow jobs and lap dances .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I know. I don't lie on my resume, I just always feel like I could have presented things better, somehow.

Quoting caustinb: You just have to spin it better. Exaggeration is your friend, lying is not. Fine line.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I think, for me, it's the fact that other people will be judging my achievements and rating them against other people. Figuring out how to present things in the best light I can is stressful to me. Then there's the moment of panic after I actually submit my documents. I've taken an irrevocable step and put myself out there for judgment by people who have the power to decide whether or not I should get an interview. I don't have any control over anything at that point.

Maybe I'm a closet control freak, lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well the problem is you and how you percieve yourself. What you put out there is what others see, if you choose not to be proud of anything you put on your resume .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll see how I can include things like that in my resume.

Quoting witzandglitz: I am a career counselor and resume writer. To make your resume stand out you need to list your accomplishments in the job, not only duties. How did you personally help the company sell something, make something, or service something.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 26, 2014 at 11:16 AM

you must be , im not anything like that. i once had a guy call me to tell me I didnt get the job, I told him " okay, its your loss". he thought for a second and then offered me a job anyways. I didnt take it but , really the attitude you put out there is the attitude they will take.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think, for me, it's the fact that other people will be judging my achievements and rating them against other people. Figuring out how to present things in the best light I can is stressful to me. Then there's the moment of panic after I actually submit my documents. I've taken an irrevocable step and put myself out there for judgment by people who have the power to decide whether or not I should get an interview. I don't have any control over anything at that point.

Maybe I'm a closet control freak, lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN