Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gypsies????

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:28 AM
  • 18 Replies
Okay....so yeah...I have gotten hooked on 'My Big Fat Gypsey Wedding'....and I was curious...is it real? Lol...I mean to say...do you know any honest to Bob Gypsies? Or am I just watching this show to much?

Eta: I am NOT asking if something they own is real...I simply want to know if anyone or anyone you know is an honest to Bob gypsy. An I guess my new question if you DO know or ARE one what is your opinion of the show?
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:30 AM

*gypsies.

The way you are writing is implying you are asking about something they own...

Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:31 AM
I know a couple who are from England and are real gypsies, and they are horrified with the American show. They told me it makes them look bad. And in real life this couple is the nicest people I've ever met
jpalmer
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Sorry anon...I'll correct my spelling so I don't offend anyone...and try to reword my question

Quoting Anonymous:

*gypsies.

The way you are writing is implying you are asking about something they own...

jpalmer
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:39 AM
Well I am honestly happy to know they are not as rowdy as they appear on TV...can I ask some questions? Will you tell ,e what they are truely like? Do they travel a lot? Marry going? Eat certain things? Have certain customs? I am all ears :)

Quoting Mom-to-2kids: I know a couple who are from England and are real gypsies, and they are horrified with the American show. They told me it makes them look bad. And in real life this couple is the nicest people I've ever met
Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:45 AM
They moved here from England around the same time I moved here. And like I said once you get to know them they are fantastic people, and super nice. They don't travel as the guy has a job, which is why they moved to the US, they are hoping to get citizenship someday. They are very religious, I haven't noticed any special foods they eat lol everytime we go out we go to dinner. Their house is spotless!

Quoting jpalmer: Well I am honestly happy to know they are not as rowdy as they appear on TV...can I ask some questions? Will you tell ,e what they are truely like? Do they travel a lot? Marry going? Eat certain things? Have certain customs? I am all ears :)

Quoting Mom-to-2kids: I know a couple who are from England and are real gypsies, and they are horrified with the American show. They told me it makes them look bad. And in real life this couple is the nicest people I've ever met
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:49 AM
I know a Romani lady, yes. She's very disgusted with that show. To the Romani, those people are like the Honey Boo Boo of their culture, lol.

According to her, "g*psy" is a slur. Some Romani use it for themselves, but as a rule of thumb, it's not a good idea to refer to that term first when addressing a Romani person. She practices a particular way of cooking, I forget what it's called, but it reminds me of Jewish cooking... Meats and veggies have different pans, etc. She covers her hair. They don't travel. She's college-educated. Etc
jpalmer
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:52 AM
Lol..so yeah...typing on a tablet apparently is NOT my friend...sorry for the typos... Glad you could decipher it...

Okay you have my attention...so they really clean like the show??? Very religious? Which religion do they follow, or is it their own? Not gonna lie, kinda loved the idea of them traveling.

I love history, and finding out others customs :)

Quoting Mom-to-2kids: They moved here from England around the same time I moved here. And like I said once you get to know them they are fantastic people, and super nice. They don't travel as the guy has a job, which is why they moved to the US, they are hoping to get citizenship someday. They are very religious, I haven't noticed any special foods they eat lol everytime we go out we go to dinner. Their house is spotless!

Quoting jpalmer: Well I am honestly happy to know they are not as rowdy as they appear on TV...can I ask some questions? Will you tell ,e what they are truely like? Do they travel a lot? Marry going? Eat certain things? Have certain customs? I am all ears :)

jpalmer
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:56 AM
I didn't know that...fascinating!!! I will most certainly watch my tounge in the future... I personally do not know anyone from that culture, but I would LOVE to meet someone and pick their brain.

Do you by any chance know a recipe for a few meals?

Quoting Anonymous: I know a Romani lady, yes. She's very disgusted with that show. To the Romani, those people are like the Honey Boo Boo of their culture, lol.

According to her, "g*psy" is a slur. Some Romani use it for themselves, but as a rule of thumb, it's not a good idea to refer to that term first when addressing a Romani person. She practices a particular way of cooking, I forget what it's called, but it reminds me of Jewish cooking... Meats and veggies have different pans, etc. She covers her hair. They don't travel. She's college-educated. Etc
Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:57 AM
Yes the mom is very much a housewife like on the show. They are keeping their traditions as far as that goes. They are Catholics

Quoting jpalmer: Lol..so yeah...typing on a tablet apparently is NOT my friend...sorry for the typos... Glad you could decipher it...

Okay you have my attention...so they really clean like the show??? Very religious? Which religion do they follow, or is it their own? Not gonna lie, kinda loved the idea of them traveling.

I love history, and finding out others customs :)

Quoting Mom-to-2kids: They moved here from England around the same time I moved here. And like I said once you get to know them they are fantastic people, and super nice. They don't travel as the guy has a job, which is why they moved to the US, they are hoping to get citizenship someday. They are very religious, I haven't noticed any special foods they eat lol everytime we go out we go to dinner. Their house is spotless!

AA2.0
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:03 AM

I think the ones on the show may very well be "real" gypsies, but from what I understand they are different than the gypsies in Europe. The American gypsies on the show seem to be the stereotypical con artists. I don't think that we should allow them to represent the whole of gypsy culture around the world, though.

I watch it because I find it entertaining. Not because I think it is 100% factual. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)