Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At a loss...

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:58 AM
  • 17 Replies
I'm at a loss when it comes to bed time for DD (she's 7). Just about every night she begs me to snuggle with her, then she starts crying when I say no, not tonight. I can't tell if it's real or fake sometimes..she's a bit of a drama queen.

Now, that's not to say that I never snuggle with her. I do, just about every day when she gets home from school, even if it's for a few minutes. I tell her I love her, repeatedly, through out the day when she's not at school. We spend time together every day, even if it's just watching a movie or a show.

A couple weeks ago she had a melt down and I ended up laying down with her till she fell asleep. After that we set a day each week for me to lay down with her until she falls asleep. I do it this way because I don't want her to be dependent on me for her to fall asleep every night.

My problem is, she's still begging me to lay with her every night when it's time for bed. I just don't understand if it's just so she doesn't have to sleep, or if she's really that insecure. I just don't know. I mean, we sleep in the same bed, so either way, I'm there when we wake up every morning. I just don't know what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated.
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadowcat76
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:01 AM
I've never had that particular problem. For mr, it's story, kiss kiss..night night. Mommy needs a break after 8pm...lol . Hopefully someone can help though, bump😊
Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd lay down with her until she falls asleep. Yes it's an inconvenience if you're like me and that is your time to get things done around the house but it would be much calmer at my house just to lay down with her. She's only this little once, Momma. There will come a day when she doesn't want those snuggles.
SweetPegasus08
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:07 AM
Thank you. It's just that her bed time is my time to unwind...and this thing she is doing is only very recent. She's only been doing it for a little over a month. So that's why it concerns me. I mean I love snuggling her, but when I lay with her, she won't settle down and go to sleep.

Quoting Ninjascreenname: I'd lay down with her until she falls asleep. Yes it's an inconvenience if you're like me and that is your time to get things done around the house but it would be much calmer at my house just to lay down with her. She's only this little once, Momma. There will come a day when she doesn't want those snuggles.
SweetPegasus08
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:08 AM
Thank you for the bump! I'm just really concerned about her. :/

Quoting shadowcat76: I've never had that particular problem. For mr, it's story, kiss kiss..night night. Mommy needs a break after 8pm...lol . Hopefully someone can help though, bump😊
hismommy2010
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:09 AM
Talk to her. It may be that she just wants cuddle time. Could be from a bad dream. But id just give her that time
Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:10 AM
True. Start doing a wind down routine. "We are going to lay down and watch this cheesy show on sprout. If you haven't had time to wind down then mommy is getting up." And follow through. It sounds like maybe something has changed in the last month that has changed her routine.

Quoting SweetPegasus08: Thank you. It's just that her bed time is my time to unwind...and this thing she is doing is only very recent. She's only been doing it for a little over a month. So that's why it concerns me. I mean I love snuggling her, but when I lay with her, she won't settle down and go to sleep.

Quoting Ninjascreenname: I'd lay down with her until she falls asleep. Yes it's an inconvenience if you're like me and that is your time to get things done around the house but it would be much calmer at my house just to lay down with her. She's only this little once, Momma. There will come a day when she doesn't want those snuggles.
Rebecca7708
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:12 AM
What is her typical routine? Do you do a bed time story? Maybe you could compromise and say that you will snuggle during the story but, then she needs to go to sleep.
ChunkyBunny
by Princess FluffyButt on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:14 AM
I can't sleep alone..

See if she's having a rough time in school, doesn't feel well or if something is bothering her. She may need that extra comfort to unwind.
Kaaden
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:17 AM

I do this with my daughter too, three months and counting.  A friend is still lying down with her seven year old, so it's nit uncommon.  If you find a solution I'm all ears!

SweetPegasus08
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:18 AM
I've tried talking to her about it, but she won't open up to me. She just tells me she doesn't know. Thank you for your input. Maybe if I try a different approach to bed time?

Quoting hismommy2010: Talk to her. It may be that she just wants cuddle time. Could be from a bad dream. But id just give her that time
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)