Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Run the other way?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
Just want simple opinions - I've been talking to a guy in his late 30's who I met on a dating site. Has a full time job, education, the works.

However, when I did a name search by cell phone number - I always like to get someone's full name so I can background check before meeting - his fathers name came up.

Apparently his cell phone is in his fathers name.

I'm in my late 20's and have had my own cell phone account from when I was 19. I like my privacy.

What Would you think of a late 30's man who is still okay to be on his parents plan - despite the fact that he is otherwise independent (even has his own place)?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katydid150
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:35 AM

That isn't a huge flag, but keep your eyes open. 

mom2jasper
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:36 AM
Maybe he's paying for his father's cell phone and has it in his name for a senior citizens discount or something like that. I wouldn't think anything of it. I'm still on my mother's plan because it is much cheaper than getting my own. I'm still financially responsible for at least my portion, but there's no reason not to save money when possible. Privacy also isn't an issue. It's not like the bill shows any calls or texts unless requested.
booaura
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:37 AM
I would just wait and see. It could be a family plan and it's just cheaper that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
curvygurl1912
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:37 AM
I would get more info before I made any decisions. I am 40 and my phone is in my ex dh's name. It is because I don't want anyone to look my number up by my name, it has nothing to do with independance or finances. People sometimes have valid reasons for doing things that we ouselves would not choose to do.
Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:38 AM
My parents are on my husbands and my plan-it lowered our bill. They have to stay on it for the term of the contract or we pay early term fee. Instead of worrying about who pays for his cell phone why not meet him first?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:45 AM

Quoting Isaacsmom913: My parents are on my husbands and my plan-it lowered our bill. They have to stay on it for the term of the contract or we pay early term fee. Instead of worrying about who pays for his cell phone why not meet him first?

Thanks for the feedback.  It's not at all about who pays for it.  I don't care if his parents still pay for that, since he seems independent otherwise.

I guess I can't wrap my head around the fact that he doesn't want to know his cell phone is completely private.  It's easy to pull up a bill and see all the numbers someone has spoken to or texted, and for how many minutes each call lasted.  I'm just the type to want my privacy and find it weird to not want that.

I'm trying to be open minded though and probably will meet him.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:49 AM

Does it ever bother you though, to know the exdh can just pull up cell phone records online and see what numbers you have texted, what numbers you have spoken to, and for how long those calls are?

I am reading through everyone's replies and starting to realize maybe I'm overly private and protective of everything I do.  I could totally understand your point on there being valid reasons for it.

Quoting curvygurl1912: I would get more info before I made any decisions. I am 40 and my phone is in my ex dh's name. It is because I don't want anyone to look my number up by my name, it has nothing to do with independance or finances. People sometimes have valid reasons for doing things that we ouselves would not choose to do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:50 AM
Well my son pays the cell phone bill but it's in my name. Maybe it's like that with him. I would not just black list him for that alone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:51 AM

Quoting Anonymous: Well my son pays the cell phone bill but it's in my name. Maybe it's like that with him. I would not just black list him for that alone.

Thanks for the feedback.  How old is your son?  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:52 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous: Well my son pays the cell phone bill but it's in my name. Maybe it's like that with him. I would not just black list him for that alone.

Thanks for the feedback.  How old is your son?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)