Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids and household responsiblity

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:39 AM
  • 23 Replies
Do you have your child(ren) contribute to the family's responsibilities or do you do everything for them?

Why do you do either option?
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Yes, my children help out. They have chores and "jobs". I will never do everything for them,lol. I want to teach them responsibility and how to live on their own. One day they will need these skills and it is easier to train them when they are young, than to try and make them do it when they are older and have never had to clean/cook/etc. on their own before.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:41 AM
My oldest has chores, hes 13. The younger ones 2,4 have to pick up their toys and put cups/plates in the sink.
I believe its important for kids to know how to do things for themselves.
I am a mother, not a maid.
livingforthem83
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:42 AM

My children have chores. I was never made to clean so now it's hard for me to do it, I won't do that to my children.

zeenah
by Zarah on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:42 AM
Dd is young so she does little things, she cleans her playmat, helps put dishes in the dish washer, sweeps up crumbs and helps with laundry.

Big sister to be! Nov. 2014

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:44 AM
My oldest moved out and my youngest (17) has to put his laundry away, pick up his room, bring his laundry to the laundry room. IF he eats dinner with us then he helps clear the table.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:45 AM
Mine are still pretty young so they just pick up after themselves and keep their rooms clean. My 8 year old does help set the table for dinner and he is responsible for feeding the dogs. They will have more responsibilities once they get older
tinybluemoon
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Everybody contributes in my household, perhaps more so than a normal American family. I run a very tight ship.

supergasper
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:48 AM

My dd has to do chores she has to do to earn her allowance.  She's also expected to keep her room clean.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:50 AM
Ds is responsible for cleaning up after himself..toys, dirty clothes, dishes, etc. he helps a lot more though, anytime I ask him for help or to do something for me, he jumps and is more than happy to help. He is 6. I'm sure he will get more responsibilities as he gets older. I think it's important for kids to learn early on how to take care of themselves and to be responsible for themselves.
jen2150
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Yes, it build skills, teaches resposibility, and it is the right thing to do. Kids need to understand sharing responsibility is the kind and caring thing to do. They make their lunches, wash and fold their own clothes, yard and chicken work, cleaning everything in the house, and picking up after themselves. We all share the responsibility. I have always told that families work and help each other. No free loaders.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)