Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

so we all know about wedding potlocks and people think they are tacky...how about a...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies
Funeral potlock reception? For the record I don't think ether are tacky. (But when doing it for wedding it should be food or gifts not both IMO)
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Bump
MicheleJM
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:42 AM
4 moms liked this

I thought the concept was people brought dishes to a funeral because the bereaved is...too damned bereaved to deal with that crap.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:43 AM

I have never been to a funeral reception.

It's usually just a BBQ, and everyone does bring a dessert, etc.

Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:45 AM

This is what I thought as well.. I've never been to a funeral reception, but I always thought that was common practice. 

Quoting MicheleJM:

I thought the concept was people brought dishes to a funeral because the bereaved is...too damned bereaved to deal with that crap.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:45 AM
Where I am from the family of the deceased makes everything. Dh never even hearted of meetings after funerals.

Quoting MicheleJM:

SpiritedWitch
by Emerald Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Usually people bring the deceased person's family food to their home so they don't have to deal with cooking. I have never heard of a "funeral reception".

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Its just a dinner after the funeral.

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Usually people bring the deceased person's family food to their home so they don't have to deal with cooking. I have never heard of a "funeral reception".

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I thought it was traditional to bring food to the meeting after the viewing.

Sarahb21
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:52 AM

DH's sister died a couple of months ago and they had a potluck at the funeral. It wasn't bad, but some of the food was questionable. lol I

LEmommy0913
by Rachel on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:52 AM
They tend to bring the food to people's house. That's how it was both times for us if I remember right.

Quoting Superlaura328:

This is what I thought as well.. I've never been to a funeral reception, but I always thought that was common practice. 

Quoting MicheleJM:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)