Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sound Good? I NEED Opinions!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

Poll

Question: You would...

Options:

Buy the trailer

Keep renting and being broke

Other- please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 9

View Results

I found this trailer for sale. 7500. The lot rent is 377.

Two bedrooms, on bath, plus an extra room we could use as a third bedroom.

We have three kids.

As it is, we live in a three bedroom trailer and are barely making all our bills.

There is no money left at the end of the month for savings, fun stuff, whatever.

I want to buy a house.

I see this as an opportunity to buy a home outirght, and be able to save a lot of money to buy a bigger/nicer house in the future.

Then we could sell the trailer and use the money for closing costs/others for a move.

DH says he doesn't want to own a trailer. Apparently, it's okay to rent one, but not own one.

BTW- the lot payment is less than HALF what we pay now for rent.

WWYD? Thanks

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Buy. But look extremely close at the lease for lot rent. Call the local police and ask about.the trailer park.

And don't expect to get enough to cover closing costs.

We sold ours, for less than half what it was worth.

Also you will need to figure in property taxes yearly. Ours for a $9000 trailer were around $400 a year.

Does it have central air? Well insulated? Are any bills included in the lot rent?
ramita
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:50 AM
I clicked buy the trailer, but there is an exception. Are y'all able to pay the cost of the trailer outright or is there going to be monthly payments in order to pay for it. If there are going to be monthly payments you need to find out how much they would be before you agreed. Also make sure the trailer park is a good one. I know a few in my area are safe, but others are full of drugs and such.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:52 AM
I would not count on being able to resell the trailer, so if that is a key part of the plan, I'd be cautious. Is prefer to rent a trailer over own as well, otherwise you could get stuck dumping in money for repairs you may never recoup.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:54 AM

That is not one of the selling points, just a thought, really.

And we would be able to sell for low, like the current owner is doing.

Quoting Anonymous: I would not count on being able to resell the trailer, so if that is a key part of the plan, I'd be cautious. Is prefer to rent a trailer over own as well, otherwise you could get stuck dumping in money for repairs you may never recoup.

Chibee
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:56 AM

trailers are a horrible investment

AllofFive19
by Emerald Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I'd buy the trailer. Even if you don't resell, it'd be a nice starter house.

msharleyjr
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:07 PM
I'd buy it. Especially with the lot rent being half. Is it bigger than yours now? Yes it would be a nice starter home. I've seen some very nice homes built that starred out as trailers.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)