Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feminism

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
What does it mean to you? I think it means different things to different people. Please share.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Women have the right to make their own choices. They decide what works for them.

momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
True feminism for me is valuing women BECAUSE they're women, not in spite of. For me, modern "feminism" is really masculinism in disguise, because it measures a woman's value by claiming we can do what a man can, therefore we should be treated exactly the same. And it furthers demeans our traditional feminine role to further elevate the masculine role.
That's not feminism fir me. For me feminism is embracing our femininity with everything it entails and show that we have value and contribute to society in our own unique way and we don't have to do what men do to be worth of that value.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:41 AM

An objective definition would be that women are equal to men in all things and should be treated as such.

A subjective definition, colored by the actions of the feminist movement in the United States, would be that women don't need men, that women should be working moms, that women who choose to be homemakers are "less" and obviously aren't properly modern and are oppressed by the patriarchal society, that kind of thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:45 AM
I hate that second definition. I think that ruins feminism, it's counter feminist. Women should have the right to be/do whatever they want, that includes being moms and wives.
I've only seen so much hatred to moms and wives online, only rare encounters with it in real life.

Quoting B1Bomber:

An objective definition would be that women are equal to men in all things and should be treated as such.

A subjective definition, colored by the actions of the feminist movement in the United States, would be that women don't need men, that women should be working moms, that women who choose to be homemakers are "less" and obviously aren't properly modern and are oppressed by the patriarchal society, that kind of thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Agree. I love the differences. I don't like the side of feminism that thinks we have to lose our femininity, or "hate" men, but I don't see that as true feminism.

Quoting momto2boys973: True feminism for me is valuing women BECAUSE they're women, not in spite of. For me, modern "feminism" is really masculinism in disguise, because it measures a woman's value by claiming we can do what a man can, therefore we should be treated exactly the same. And it furthers demeans our traditional feminine role to further elevate the masculine role.
That's not feminism fir me. For me feminism is embracing our femininity with everything it entails and show that we have value and contribute to society in our own unique way and we don't have to do what men do to be worth of that value.
corticosteroid
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:50 AM

To me, feminism means that women are not denied the same opportunities that men enjoy.

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Oh, I agree. But there is a prevailing belief that women should be "more than" mothers, that being "just" a stay home mom means you aren't doing enough. I've seen it in the real world, usually couched in friendlier terms.

I really hate the swing from women-as-property to women-are-better-at-everything and men are useless. I'm not a feminist. I think all people are equally valuable and that men and women play complementary roles in society. Yeah, they can each fulfill the obligations of the other, but things function much more smoothly when they divvy it up and respect one another.

Quoting Anonymous: I hate that second definition. I think that ruins feminism, it's counter feminist. Women should have the right to be/do whatever they want, that includes being moms and wives. I've only seen so much hatred to moms and wives online, only rare encounters with it in real life.
Quoting B1Bomber:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Besides make sperm, what can men do that women can't?

Quoting momto2boys973: True feminism for me is valuing women BECAUSE they're women, not in spite of. For me, modern "feminism" is really masculinism in disguise, because it measures a woman's value by claiming we can do what a man can, therefore we should be treated exactly the same. And it furthers demeans our traditional feminine role to further elevate the masculine role.
IDGAF-
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:53 AM

A person in favor of political,economic and social equality of the sexes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:54 AM
You're taking the extremist view and coloring the whole ideology here.

Quoting Anonymous: Agree. I love the differences. I don't like the side of feminism that thinks we have to lose our femininity, or "hate" men, but I don't see that as true feminism.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)