Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

~Need Help~ Training Bra or Undershirt?

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:30 PM
  • 8 Replies

Ok, so I need some help.  Hopefully  from some other moms who have done this before and may be more seasoned than I in this department. 

I have a 9 1/2 yr old daughter who's body is beginning to change, and she is starting to get to that stage where her chest is budding.   Sometimes its very  noticeable when wearing tighter fitting or lighter colored shirts. So I'm wondering is it time to get a training bra or undershirts?

What are the pro's and cons of each?  What is your preference?  And tell me about your story of shopping for your daughters first bra?  Awkward or just an ordinary experience

Any help would be great! Thanks!

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MamaJess9
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:33 PM
That's about the age my DD was. We just went out and bought training bras. They were made more like a sports bra, all one piece that pulls over her head instead if hooking in the back. It was fun for her to pick the styles and colors and not awkward for us at least.
Schmoopi
by QueenOfAllThings on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Do a training bra, mom. Let her go with you and pick them out. At that age my DD opted for a sports type bra. 

HAHuskey
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Make a day of it. Go get a treat and stuff. Bond with your baby! Lol
booaura
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Do a training bra. It's not big deal. I was about that age when my mom took me to buy some. It wasn't awkward at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schmoopi
by QueenOfAllThings on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, I cut it off short. I don't think there are any cons to it. It will only be awkward if YOU make it feel that way. Have you talked about puberty and periods? I bought "The Care and Keeping of You" for my DD around that age and we read it together - because honestly, I forgot what puberty was like other than hard and weird. 

OrganicMomof1
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Thanks for the info!  Me personally I feel it won't be awkward, we have a pretty open relationship.  I just bought that book, so I'm excited to go through it with her.  No we haven't really talked about puberty in depth with all the dynamics yet, just that her body is growing and changing, that its an exciting time and something to look forward to and embrace. 

We will start going through the book as soon as it gets here, I just don't know if I'm ready for my little girl to grow up.... But time marches on,,,,,,,, so on we go.

Thanks for the advice everyone so far its been helpful! 

Quoting Schmoopi:

Sorry, I cut it off short. I don't think there are any cons to it. It will only be awkward if YOU make it feel that way. Have you talked about puberty and periods? I bought "The Care and Keeping of You" for my DD around that age and we read it together - because honestly, I forgot what puberty was like other than hard and weird. 

mommymonkey
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I took my daughter out to shop- just a girls day. I had her try on a couple camis and a couple different styles of trianing bra. She opted to go with camis and tanks for a while, it felt more natural to her to not have a band around her ribcage. She was 9 at the time. She switched to  training bras about a year and a half ago, and is alright with it now.

Last month, we found a really cheap bras at walmart- come in bright colors and several sizes. I got her 3. She told me yesterday that they are the best bras I ever bought her and she wants more.

Famousglm714
by Gina on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Quoting booaura: Do a training bra. It's not big deal. I was about that age when my mom took me to buy some. It wasn't awkward at all.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)