Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why even send kids to school?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this

My best friend's son is in kindergarten. Today she got a call from the front office telling her to come into the school, her child was in trouble. When she got to the school the vice principal told her that her son made a racist comment. 

This is what happened. 

The class was coloring and practicing cutting paper. Her son had a pair of scissors, that were his with his name on them, sitting on his desk. This other little boy, who happened to be african american, came up to him and just took his scissors. My friend's son tried asking for the scissors back but the little boy said he wasn't done. So, my friend's son went and told the teacher what happened. 

The teacher asked which kid it was and I guess my friend's son couldn't remember his name, so he said "the boy with the black face" while pointing at him.

The teacher I guess made him apologize to the kid for saying that, even though the kid didn't hear him, and then he was sent to the front office. The assistant teacher took him up there and explained what happened. 

My friend says that they are talking about an in-school suspension for just one day. She is trying to fight them. I think it's ridiculous. I don't think he did anything wrong. Her child is 5 years old and doesn't know anything about racism. All he knows is that boy is darker than he is. 

I think it's sad that people can't just let kids be kids. Of course it is important to teach them about history and teach them that we are all human beings and all the same, but even adults will say (that black lady, that white lady, that mexican lady, etc.) It's just describing the person. It's not meant to be degrading or racist. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mayalove
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM
6 moms liked this
I agree with you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:54 PM

I would home school with this BS.

lincolnlady
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Completely ridiculous. I would raise hell if that happened to my kid. I would not send him to school for in school suspension. We would be having a mommy and son day instead.
LukeWarmwater
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:55 PM

the years almost done and he doesnt know his classmates name? is one of them new?

and no i dont think its racist.

happynewyorker
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM

OMG!!! That's so stupid.  My daughter when a around 4 or 5, had a friend was black.  She was her only black friend at the time.  Ever black girl we saw in the neighbor was Mia, her friend.  I had to explain it a couple of times. She didn't understand it until she was abit older.

I agree!! If I was you're friend I'd fight it.  I'd call the school superintendent and fight this nonsense. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:02 PM

No. I just don't think he could remember at the time. Who knows. 

Quoting LukeWarmwater:

the years almost done and he doesnt know his classmates name? is one of them new?

and no i dont think its racist.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

While I don't necassarily think it was meant as racist does the child seriously NOT know his classmates name by the end of the school year?

mommyrustina
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:04 PM
You always knew all of your classmates names?

Quoting Anonymous:

While I don't necassarily think it was meant as racist does the child seriously NOT know his classmates name by the end of the school year?

T-Rentsmommy06
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM
That is wild. Hopefully she can get the punishment turned around he was just describing the boy, I am assuming he had a "brain fart" with his name since this far into the year he should know it.

Race is a description, we should not ignore or tip toe around race. Embrace it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I don't think he could remember. I don't think he ever played with that kid much. He's only 5. I don't know

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)