Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need a job

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
Dh is working his butt off but it's just not enough. His work, by nature, is unpredictable. When it's good, it's great. But some days/weeks are not as fortunate. But he's self employed and there are several benefits to this and reasons we're reluctant to give that up. So I need to bring in an income. The problem is if we had to pay for daycare it would negate anything I'd bring in. So I need to work opposite hours from dh. Except his hours are not predictable. He gets home at different times during the week and sometimes works weekends as well. So I'm looking into work at home jobs. But the problem is finding legit jobs that are actually worth it. I've applied to Lionbridge earlier today and I've been googling others but I'm just not sure which are legit. Does anyone have any real suggestions? Please don't tell me things like surveys that take an hour to do and pay a nickel. Those are just not worth it. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

And before anyone says "You shouldn't have had kids if you couldn't afford them" or anything similar, please remember that circumstances can and do change. Sometimes they change for the better and that's great. But sometimes they go the other way despite anything and everything you try.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiffanyRose06
by Hufflepuff on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Check out ratracebebellion.com

It's a site that pre screens wah jobs to help weed out scams. Good luck
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:03 PM
Do you need daycare or more like an occasional babysitter to fill in the gaps?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:03 PM
Follow
happinessforyou
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Maybe it is time for DH to work a regular job and table the "self-employed" option for when your kids are older. Or is it something he can do part time for extra money and work a 9-5 full time?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:05 PM
I think you answered your own question. You have to find part time employment opposite to your dhs hours. Look online and spruce up your resume. I know you can find a part time position.
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Can you get the word out that you're looking for kids to babysit. It's summer time. Maybe there's someone in need of low- cost childcare in your area.
km1970
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Could you find a job at a daycare? Many times you can bring your kids with you for free or at a reduced rate.

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Look into secret shopping. My friend did it for a while. She said it doesn't pay a lot, but it was enough for food and some basics that she would have to buy anyways. I think they give you a list of stores or restaurants and what to look for. You go do your shopping/eating and keep a mental note of things. Then you send in the receipts and your report and they send you a check.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:09 PM

If daycare is expensive BE the daycare. My sitter wa sin EXACTLY your spot. A husband with irregular hours, and a need for more money-and 2 kids of her own. The extra $200 a week I paid her nicely filled in her budget until he got a job with more regular hours-then they BOTH worked-and the person at home watched all 3 kids (well she had  2 more eventually so all 5 kids)

In all she/they  made over $100,000 watching my child for 10 years.  a nice supplement indeed-and all she had was sone extra kid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:11 PM
Thank you!

Quoting TiffanyRose06: Check out ratracebebellion.com

It's a site that pre screens wah jobs to help weed out scams. Good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)