Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My dh and I don't celebrate our anniversary.

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:12 PM
  • 64 Replies

My mil thinks I'm crazy, but hear me out.

To us, divorce isn't an option.  (Except in the event of a type of abuse)  So for us, yes we've been married another year, but there really wasn't another choice.

Does it make sense to you?

For the record, I told my dh when we first got married that I didn't feel the need to celebrate since divorce isn't an option.

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:13 PM

we don't really either

we don't do anniversary presents. it seems strange to me to give someone a gift for saying married to you another year

mamabear55
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:15 PM

I've honestly never thought of it that way, but you're right.

That's kind of like thinking so little of yourself that you feel the need to thank someone for loving you.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

we don't really either

we don't do anniversary presents. it seems strange to me to give someone a gift for saying married to you another year

tisha826
by Tisha on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:15 PM
4 moms liked this
I get your point, but I like celebrations. And every year I don't strangle my husband to death deserves dinner and gifts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM
We don't do presents, we will go out for a nice dinner sometimes though.
mamabear55
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand that! LOL

Quoting tisha826: I get your point, but I like celebrations. And every year I don't strangle my husband to death deserves dinner and gifts.

momasaurus420
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Like V-day or mother's day I don't think you should need a date to tell you to celebrate someone you love. It should be done spontaneously throughout the year...not a mark on the calendar.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:18 PM
6 moms liked this

I see it as more of a celebration, not an accomplishment. Not "we made it another year" but "remember when we got to say vows and choose each other forever? how awesome was/is that?!"

Plus, any excuse to buy presents. I surprised him with a beach trip over Presidents Day weekend last year, and he got me a gift for teacher appreciation day despite the fact that I haven't taught in three years. Anniversaries are excellent reasons to get fun gifts.

mamabear55
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I understand that.  My friend said I should cook my dh a nice dinner for our anniversary, at least.  #1- I actually cook for him EVERY night, after he tells me what he wants.  #2- Why would I spend all afternoon in the kitchen and then spend the night cleaning on MY anniversary.

Quoting Anonymous: We don't do presents, we will go out for a nice dinner sometimes though.

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:19 PM
2 moms liked this
Sad. Especially when you say you were together another year, "but there wasn't another option".
Elena-725
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:20 PM

If it works for you, great.  BTW, it's not really an option for us either, but we still like to celebrate US.  Some years we do fancy, most years we don't.  It's still fun just the same.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)