Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHM's with school aged kids

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:27 PM
  • 38 Replies
What do you do in the summer to keep them busy for cheap?

This year we moved from a house in a nice neighborhood to an apartment in a major city so this is the first year they won't be allowed to just go run around in the neighborhood with friends. We have a pool that I'm sure we'll use a lot and we have a zoo pass but they're 10 and 13 and not really interested in going to see animals. I just need some ideas for entertaining two boys on a budget lol
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinkfairy0206
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:31 PM
That's a tough one because of the age. I'd say, alot of bike rides, skate boarding, roller blading.
rocamom
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Look up and see if there is FREE Summer bowling in your area, Regal (and other cinema's) do a discount day durning the week, free events at our local library, In my city there are FREE museums on Fridays (you pick from 4 or 5 different ones).

GOOD LUCK

PeppermintyTea
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this
We go to museums, fly kites (it stays windy here), picnics, library, boys & girls club (ymca in our old neighborhood). We are also doing swim team, horseback riding, and classes at the performing arts center, but those things add up.
Reading.Rainbow
by Mad Martigan on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:34 PM
Make color water bombs
Spray sprinkler head on the grass
Paper mâché creatures
907PickleMom
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:35 PM
Since you are in a city check the local attractions for free days in the summer. Some museums have free days, discounted days etc. Check parks and rec or YMCA for low cost camps or classes. Try geocaching. Other attractions may have low cost memberships or passes. Good luck!
WesAndNicksMom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:37 PM
Thanks! I forgot that the art museum here is free on Sundays! I check the city calendar pretty frequently but it's all festivals and things like that. I just joined a mommy group in our city hoping to find things to do but it seems like most of them have babies or little kids so it hasn't been as resourceful as I'd hoped lol

Quoting rocamom:

Look up and see if there is FREE Summer bowling in your area, Regal (and other cinema's) do a discount day durning the week, free events at our local library, In my city there are FREE museums on Fridays (you pick from 4 or 5 different ones).

GOOD LUCK

WesAndNicksMom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:40 PM
We have a gorgeous park four blocks from our house that we go to two or three times a week. There are tons of walking paths and a big creek that everybody seems to swim, fish and play in but they're calling for rain all week which is why I'm worried about them being bored :-)

Quoting pinkfairy0206: That's a tough one because of the age. I'd say, alot of bike rides, skate boarding, roller blading.
Rachael-Dawn
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Tide bikes, skateboards, we play baseball and football in the yard, trampoline, one of my son's has a small raised vegetable garden. We don't do alot of actual activities. Summer is our rest and relax time since they go full throttle fall, winter, and spring with their athletics.
mamabear55
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Do you have a local library?

WesAndNicksMom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:43 PM
I want to do geocaching so bad! We've been spending about $500 a month on gas so that they could finish the school year in their old district an hour away so it hasn't been an option but they're done for the year tomorrow so we'll be able to go on lots of rides again :-) Do you use a website for it?

Quoting 907PickleMom: Since you are in a city check the local attractions for free days in the summer. Some museums have free days, discounted days etc. Check parks and rec or YMCA for low cost camps or classes. Try geocaching. Other attractions may have low cost memberships or passes. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)