Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel like I was fired for not terminating my pregnancy... .. .

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:55 PM
  • 24 Replies

I recently read yet another ignorant 'SAHM's suck because... .. .' post. Whatever.
Anyhow - I just wanted to rant, a little - about a company called: Great Works Temporary Inc.

A little background: I graduated HS in 1996 (not 2006, sry brain fart), it took me an extra year because I grew up in a broken home and it was difficult to function when I did not eat until lunch time at school. I entered into the work program and started working at McDonald's and was on my own by 18. It wasn't until 2003 that I could attend college. I worked two part-time federal work study positions while enrolled full-time on campus at OSU. I graduated with a degree in Art and Technology in 2008.

I struggled to find work after graduation, many students were flooding places of employment and were better qualified than me but I kept trying. I eventually found myself at a Temporary Agency, working a Temp to Hire job.

At 32 I found myself unexpectedly, but happily pregnant for the first time - but when I informed my place of employment, I was informed by the manager that "Once you are no longer able to perform your dutes, you will not be eligible for job placement". Makes sense, I guess. (Shrug). I worked until my due date.

I didn't choose to be a SAHM, but I do the best I can. Their father, my boyfriend - and I are going to get married once we can afford a wedding but for now we get by on his income. (He makes a good living but once our boys start school I will start working full time and we will be great). I'm not used to having to live off such a tight budget but I am definitely learning a hard lesson on the value of a dollar!

- And for those of you who just NEED to know, no - we do not qualify for government assistance but I'm sure that was going to come up. 

I love my family, they are my whole world - but seriously, if you plan to ever have a family of your own, avoid temp agencies! Apparently it's okay for them to fire pregnant women for having a baby! 

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Your dates make no sense... What year did you graduate? 2000?

homeschoolmom9
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Why do you have to have a wedding to get married? Dh and I got married at the courthouse $50
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Did you make typos with your dates??
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

People that need to have weddings are so stupid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

You weren't fired for not terminating your pregnancy.  You were fired after you had the baby and were no longer able to work.  If you were working through a temp agency, there is no such thing as a maternity leave.  You just stop working until you are eligible to work again.  Unless you would be able to work opposite shifts, have free childcare, or would make more than daycare costs, it really doesn't pay for you to go back to work until they are in school anyway.  Otherwise if you planned to go back, I'm sure the temp agency would help you find placement again. 

DBone_Holmes
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Oops. HS was 1996. I'll fix it. Thx.

Quoting Anonymous:

Your dates make no sense... What year did you graduate? 2000?

DBone_Holmes
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Their father wants a wedding, I don't think he's stupid I think it's sweet. 

Quoting Anonymous:

People that need to have weddings are so stupid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:33 PM
How did you graduated high school 3 years after starting college?
Working for a temp agency means that when you can't work then you can't work for them. You weren't fired but unemployable for what they needed. You might have been able to go back after the baby.
Sparklepants747
by Queen Annie on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:33 PM

You weren't fired for being pregnant,you were let go because you were unable to work while recovering. Stop making it sound like you were wronged,that's how temp agencies operate. 

baquick
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Um sounds like to me you couldn't do your job requirements. You worked until your due date, so I don't see an issue? Temp agencies are not guaranteed work. They are temp. There's no maternity leave, FMLA does not apply (as far as I know of).

*says the 33 week pregnant woman working in a high volume commercial kitchen. And I still do my job minus some heavy lifting.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)