Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How well does your 3 year old talk?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies
y dd is 3 and a half and I'm becoming concerned about her speech. She can talk, but I'm not sure if anyone other than us would be able to understand much of what she says. She says a few words very clearly. She kind of rambles on when she's talking in sentences, and I'll only be able to make out a few words out of the whole thing. Then I'm left not knowing what she's talking about. Her pronunciation typically is not very clear. She also talks about everything in third person which I've found a little strange. I've tried to get her to speak in front of the doctor, but she won't say a word. So he hasn't heard what I'm talking about.

I was watching a Dr Phil show the other day and they had a 3 year old on there who talked SO clearly. It just got me thinking about it again. I know every child develops differently, but I don't know what's "normal".

She's my first child so I don't have anything else to compare to. How did your child talk at 3-3 1/2 years old??
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JackAttacks
by Angel on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:33 PM

the 2-3 yr olds at my sons daycare I cant understand a word they say! DS is only 11mo so i have no other experience to go on, but it seems to me that thats pretty normal.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:33 PM
My son just turned 2, most of his sentences are clear.
3rd person is normal.
Most of the 3 year olds at my work can talk clearly.
I would look into a speech therapist of you are concerned, your doctor should give you a referral. Or you may be able to contact the school district.
An0nym0use
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:34 PM
Early 3, he talked pretty well. By 3 1/2, he was much easier to understand. Now at almost 4 there are only a couple times a week where it's hard to understand him.

That being said, when my oldest was that age, no one could understand her except me and her dad. It was like that up until 4 and a half when she started pre-k. Now she talks great, except they took away her strange Irish accent that she had on some words. That makes me sad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Hes good, some people can not understand much of what he says, but they get the point most of the time. Hes been more of a repeater than anything. Try recording your dd, and next time you take her in bring the recording.

Heisenberg
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:36 PM

You can understand about 80% of what my 3 year old says but he's very delayed. I would have an evaluations done by your school district if you are in the states.

MommyOK
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:37 PM

If it really worries you look into speech therapy and first of all you may wanna check her hearing. A lot of times if the kids have hearing loss or obstruction from scar tissues or fluids in their ears, they hear things differently so it affects their speech.

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:37 PM
Well mine had a delay with sentence use and I later learned she had autism. My daughter learned better through reading but most of all songs such that she couldn't say a complete sentence but could belt out an entire song. You should also try flash cards and early learning DVDs.
zeenah
by Zarah on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:37 PM
She's 2.5 most everyone even strangers can understand her. She says weird phrases and sometimes talks too fast but people know what she's saying. She was an early talker though.

Big sister to be! Nov. 2014

Bird_on_a_wire
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:39 PM
My daughter just turned 3. If you stop ad listen to her you can understand her. She has a decent vocabulary of English as well as some French and German. She am out to 10 and is starting to sing her abc's. She tells fantastic stories an has a good grasp of both vocabulary and body language.

supermama322
by Kaylee on Jun. 2, 2014 at 4:39 PM
Mine talks at an 18 month level. She has apraxia of speech.

Maybe talk to a speech therapist or your pediatrician. See what they think.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)