Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Edited to add pic pg 3 & 5 what do you consider normal wear and tear?

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:28 PM
  • 48 Replies
My landlord is dropping by on Saturday to do an inspection of the house. No biggie. The house will be banging when he gets here. He want to inspect it because of the pets. There are currently some areas that need attention but we always clean te carpets after winter and sprig since we live in the country, have a 3 year old and a cat and dog. There is no sense in cleaning the carpets monthly during those seasons since bus very muddy here. We always clean them after may wen it is warmer outside. We even bought a rug doctor to do so.
He want to raise our ret to pay to replace the carpets. According to the state law whih I looked up in te landlord tenant handbook he is obligated to pay for any normal wear and tear. Here is the hard part. Nothing in it states what normal wear and tear are. What is your definition of normal wear and tear?

Pics on of 3 and 5
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
firespurity
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Does the carpet need replaced or cleaned? Was it new when you moved in? How long have you lived there? Did you pay a deposit? Did you have permission to get pets?
Lennyloves
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:30 PM
3 moms liked this
Worn down in spots for normal walking is considered normal wear and tear. What you have described is not.
Bird_on_a_wire
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:32 PM
The carpet is old. Around 10 years or more. We are allowed pets. W have lived here almost 5 years. We did pay a deposit.

Quoting firespurity: Does the carpet need replaced or cleaned? Was it new when you moved in? How long have you lived there? Did you pay a deposit? Did you have permission to get pets?
firespurity
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I would say ten years to be a normal lifetime for carpet.

Quoting Bird_on_a_wire: The carpet is old. Around 10 years or more. We are allowed pets. W have lived here almost 5 years. We did pay a deposit.

Quoting firespurity: Does the carpet need replaced or cleaned? Was it new when you moved in? How long have you lived there? Did you pay a deposit? Did you have permission to get pets?
Bird_on_a_wire
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:34 PM
Funny. I just read my post and didn't describe the carpets at all. I will take pics on Wednesday after I have cleaned them. Right now we are getting ready to move so the house is cluttered.

Quoting Lennyloves: Worn down in spots for normal walking is considered normal wear and tear. What you have described is not.
Bird_on_a_wire
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:35 PM
From what I have researched it is.

Quoting firespurity: I would say ten years to be a normal lifetime for carpet.

Quoting Bird_on_a_wire: The carpet is old. Around 10 years or more. We are allowed pets. W have lived here almost 5 years. We did pay a deposit.

cybcm
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:37 PM
If you have failed to keep them reasonably clean (and I would say that not cleaning them for several months when you have animals is not keeping them readonably clean) then yes, it does fall outside of normal wear and tear.
Bird_on_a_wire
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:38 PM
Lol. We vacuum and I also do monthly resolve treatments before vacuuming. I just don't use the rug doctor in the winter or spring months.

Quoting cybcm: If you have failed to keep them reasonably clean (and I would say that not cleaning them for several months when you have animals is not keeping them readonably clean) then yes, it does fall outside of normal wear and tear.
summerlove3677
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:40 PM
This. Of course you should clean them more then twice a year. I mean you have pets.

Quoting cybcm: If you have failed to keep them reasonably clean (and I would say that not cleaning them for several months when you have animals is not keeping them readonably clean) then yes, it does fall outside of normal wear and tear.
summerlove3677
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Why not? If you are so worried about it, I'd do it every month. In fact, I do. I have a dog and a cat

Quoting Bird_on_a_wire: Lol. We vacuum and I also do monthly resolve treatments before vacuuming. I just don't use the rug doctor in the winter or spring months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)