Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

traveling across country with a toddler (poll)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: So how would you do it?

Options:

A

B

C

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 10

View Results

We are moving from California to Vermont (opposites ends of the country) and trying to figure out how to do it.  How would you do it?

Option A.

You and Dh drive with a trailer hitched to the back of the car, stop at hotels for the night - with baby and dogs in backseat

Option B

You and Dh and Dh's buddy take an RV with the car hitched to the back - more room for baby and dogs, stop at campsites for the night where there is also more room for baby and dogs to get some exercise

Option C

Dh and his buddy drive, you take a flight with the baby and stay for a week with relatives in not the most ideal of situations (the place is verry small)

All three options cost about the same

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajdahd13
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:06 PM
B. that sounds like fun!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol I think so too!  this one was my idea.  Dh thinks it will be too complicated and I am trying to convince him

Quoting ajdahd13: B. that sounds like fun!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:10 PM
We drove from Texas to Maryland with a 3 yr old and 7 month old. Never again. The kids and I will fly from now on and DH cam handle the logistics of our stuff.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:12 PM
I think you're underestimating the cost of the RV. We paid $1400 in gas alone driving from Missouri to New York.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:13 PM

the baby will be about 1.5 when we're ready for our trip, and I just don't see how he is going to sit in his carseat for 6 hours a day

Quoting Anonymous: We drove from Texas to Maryland with a 3 yr old and 7 month old. Never again. The kids and I will fly from now on and DH cam handle the logistics of our stuff.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:15 PM

do you know how many miles to the gallon that is?  I figure what we will pay more in gas, we will make up for not staying in hotels, which run aroun 150 a night, whereas campsites are around 30

Quoting Anonymous: I think you're underestimating the cost of the RV. We paid $1400 in gas alone driving from Missouri to New York.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:17 PM
Option b sounds like the best to me. When I traveled with my little ones the hotel scared them because EVERYTHING was "not theirs". You could even camp in the rv a night or two before the trip so it isn't a total shock to them.
PeppermintyTea
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:18 PM
I hate hate hated RVing across country - HATED it. I've done all three though... I guess I would choose A, but I had twin toddlers so flying alone with a giant PITA too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:26 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:18 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)