Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice on how to talk to my friend who just had an abortion?

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:56 PM
  • 13 Replies

Saturday my friend who just turned 16 had an abortion. She didn't tell her parents or much of any one else. I know it was the right choice for her, told her i thought so when she asked. But when i saw her today, i felt like i had to tip toe around the topic or anything baby related. I just wanna make sure she's ok and let her know if she needs to talk about it that i'm here for her. If anyone has any advice on how to ask her without sounding insensitive or upsetting her, i would really like that.

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:57 PM
I think you're doing fine. Just try to be around and cheer her up. Maybe take her out for coffee or somewhere to take her mind off of it.
marmie41
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:59 PM
Just let her know you are there if she ever needs to talk. Don't ask questions just listen
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Don't ask questions and let her know you're there if she wants to talk. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:02 PM

How far along was she?

katarina666
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Just say how's it going.Act like normal as if it never happened. If she wants to ta;lk about it she will.

Icyfrell
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:04 PM

7 or 8 weeks. really early but still a really hard decision for her.

Quoting Anonymous:

How far along was she?

Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Let her know that you're there for her if she needs anything, then proceed to act normal and pretend nothing ever happened. That's really all you can do. If she wants to talk about it, she will talk.

teri4lance
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:06 PM

personally i wouldn't say anything. 

Midsummerdawn
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:08 PM
4 moms liked this

I find that if I don't know what to say, the right thing to say is often "I don't know the right thing to say right now, but I want you to know I'm here for you and if you feel like talking, I will listen and if you don't, I can talk about nothing for awhile if that helps."

Mak33012
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Hands down, best advice ever.

Quoting Midsummerdawn:

I find that if I don't know what to say, the right thing to say is often "I don't know the right thing to say right now, but I want you to know I'm here for you and if you feel like talking, I will listen and if you don't, I can talk about nothing for awhile if that helps."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)