Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autistic kids and daycare

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

This is not bashing austism or autistic kids...I'm not saying they shouldn't be around other kids so please read and don't just assume..

My cousins son is autistic, he takes meds, has a counselor, has an OT, but he is VERY aggressive. Hes on meds that are suppose to help with that, and are at one of the highest doses the doctor will do, and he is still very aggressive. She has to work, I understand that. However, due to his high level of aggression and anger, I think he should be in a private babysitter that doesn't have other kids around. Instead, he goes to a public daycare where there are 13 other kids. She says that he will never learn to be good with other kids if hes never around them, that may be true, but its not fair to all the other 3 and 4 year olds who are being hit, scratched and abused by him. Hes on the verge of getting kicked out of daycare because of his violence. Shes always putting how she has to leave work early because he did this to a kid or that to a kid or tried to kill the class frog. Hes just a mean kid. I understand it's not his fault, but he is mean and shouldn't be around other kids in a daycare setting (where they are watched, but its not as close as he needs to be supervised)

Am I wrong for thinking this way?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Its nonya. Don't worry about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:36 PM
Thank goodness your not my cousin!
fairyjester
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:37 PM

how old is he?

my kid was in special class in public school at 3

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this
If the daycare is not able to handle his behaviors properly, and that is becoming dangerous then he should be removed from the center. Maybe she should look into a respite care provider, or ABA therapist who can accompany him at the center? My son is not aggressive - his developmental struggles are all mainly in areas of communication, and socialization. He has assistance from a sub-contractor for his lead BCBA that is with just my son during school hours (and some after school as well). It sounds like cousin's son could benefit from that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Quoting fairyjester:

how old is he?

fairyjester
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting fairyjester:

how old is he?

do they not have special educastion classes for autism in the schools where you are?

" Aaron  , dude, get in the bed and we can feel the vibrations together"  ---Zak Bagans , Ghost Adventures

wise.toes
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:48 PM

if a child is a danger to the classroom, he shouldn't be in the classroom. if the workers are unable to care for him, then he should be removed and find someone who is capable of caring for him in the way he needs.

doesn't matter if he is autistic or not, unacceptable behaviour isn't and shouldn't be tolerated in a daycare. i'd be pissed if my child was hurt despite the daycare knowing the child's dangerous tendencies.

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

He's in the wrong type of daycare setting. Your cousin needs to contact the school district and get him in the right setting.

CABZS
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:50 PM

If I was a mom & the child continued this behavior, harmed my child multiple times I would be fighting for the child to be removed from the daycare.  

People bash away IDC, can't behave & not harm others they have no business there or in classrooms.

kersplat
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:50 PM
I agree

Quoting wise.toes:

if a child is a danger to the classroom, he shouldn't be in the classroom. if the workers are unable to care for him, then he should be removed and find someone who is capable of caring for him in the way he needs.

doesn't matter if he is autistic or not, unacceptable behaviour isn't and shouldn't be tolerated in a daycare. i'd be pissed if my child was hurt despite the daycare knowing the child's dangerous tendencies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)