Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do any of your school age children have SAD?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

Separation anxiety disorder? My Son is almost 8 and he just exhibited signs of this. He is fine to go to school but when he is home he has to stay near me and panics if I just bring out the garbage to the curb even. I can't go to the toilet without telling him first, I can't go upstairs with the laundry without telling him first etc. If I say I am going upstairs and I'll be right down and he doesn't hear me because he is playing, all of a sudden I'll here a panicked voice loudly saying "Mommy. mommy. where are you?" Even when my Husband is home and I run outside to get the mail for instance I hear him starting to become hysterical saying "where's MOMMY!" My Husband will say "she'll be in in a minute" and he'll be looking out the window for me.

This has been happening for the last few weeks and is getting progressively worse. I ask him what is the matter and what he's worried about and he says
"I don't know". I am a SAHM and I am with him all the time. I have never given him the idea that I will leave and not come back. He is also waking in the night to sleep in my bed. This is starting to creep me out like he thinks I am going to die or something!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Has something happened to him at school? Has he seen a scary movie? Has someone died recently in your family? This is strange behavior for an 8 yr old to have just come out of nowhere. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:03 PM

No, nothing recently. He loves school. He is perfectly comfortable and content there. He watches regular kid cartoons in the afternoon that may be silly scary but nothing that really stands out. This is really strange. I wish he could explain how he feels.

Quoting Anonymous:

Has something happened to him at school? Has he seen a scary movie? Has someone died recently in your family? This is strange behavior for an 8 yr old to have just come out of nowhere. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Very strange. Does he have a friend or something who has an ailing parent? Has he been reading scary books? I feel like something must've happened to him for him to be acting like this. If you are really concerned you may want to take him to see a child psychologist, just to see what's going on with him. 

Quoting Anonymous:

No, nothing recently. He loves school. He is perfectly comfortable and content there. He watches regular kid cartoons in the afternoon that may be silly scary but nothing that really stands out. This is really strange. I wish he could explain how he feels.

Quoting Anonymous:

PinkButterfly66
by Diamond Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:14 PM

My daughter.  It has taken years to get her to the point where she doesn't freak out if I am late picking her up from school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:18 PM

my 4 year old daughter has been like this lately too. sometimes it gets so frustrating. today i got out of the car and said "i'm going around to open the other side to get the bags out" and closed my door. by the time i walked to the passenger side she was bawling. she could see me the whole time, so i dunno why she freaked out but she's been doing it a lot lately. The hardest time for me is when we're at church cause i'm her teacher ... but i also have around 5 more kids i'm responsible for at that time. there have been times i've sat her down on a chair and walked 2 seats away to break up 2 other kids and she will lose it ... and i'm RIGHT THERE. i've been talking to her about how i have to help the other kids too and she's gotten better at church, but she's still VERY clingy. i dunno what to do about it though, so i'm here for the comments and to lend some moral support!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Bump!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Is there a technique that you are using that helps?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

My daughter.  It has taken years to get her to the point where she doesn't freak out if I am late picking her up from school.

JoanahLee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:05 AM

It's the end of the school year, schedules are out of whack, he may know that summer routines will be different, but not yet understand what is going to happen.  Kids go through clingy phases and it's not always the result of trauma or serious fear. Reassure him that you will be right back and continue on with your day.  He might get upset for a minute when you go upstairs, but then he will see you come right back and be okay.  

Also, it is possible for him to have some separation anxiety without having an offical disorder.  If he truly had something like a separation anxiety disorder chance are you would not be able to scrape him off your leg to leave him at school either.  The fact that he only does it to you means its a behavior he is choosing to control around everyone else.  Not that it makes it any less real and im not saying he is faking or anything, I just think some separation anxiety reserved exclusively for mom and at home and only present for a few weeks does not mean he has an anxiety disorder. 

danie24
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Is this a new behaviour or has he always been like this?

lovinmy3girlies
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:11 AM
Hmm.. idk. Helpful huh? Lol im kidding. What I am thinking is one of his friends had a parent who bailed and sonce kids need to talk too, he probably shared this w your son. Seeing the hurt in his friend prob triggered a response in him whether he fully remembers the reason for it or not. He may be fine at school because he knows you cant just leave him there. While at home he is safe and no one would know till the next morn. (Kids think these things thro more than ppl think!) He may have the whole scenerio already played out in his conscience and cant express any of it. Or he may be having bad dreams. And while he cant explain those either, his mind knows and think it has to hold on to you. I would buy him a dream catcher and talk to him about how your relationship will b when he is older ( put that in his conscience instead and hopefully itll redirect that..?) Like when he is 14 your going to get him into the best baseball team around, or look at pics of cars for when he is 16.. things like that. Good luck!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)