Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depo after 6 years

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:32 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hello ladies,

Maybe tmi but here we go. My husband and I decided we would like to have another child. I have been on the shot for about 6 years now. I had my last shot in November and was due to have the next shot in Feb but decided not to get it. I had a short period which was light and lasted 4 days the week of Easter. I have not got one since then. I took a pregnancy test 2 weeks ago and it was negative. I'm sure it's just my body trying to get back to normal since I had the shot in my system for so long. I been getting off and on tenderness in my breast and always feel like I have not got enough to eat. Has anyone experienced this and if so when should I expect my cycle to get back on track ? I know I'm going to have comments "go see a doctor." I will, I just work full time so it's hard to go to appointments. Just wanted to see if anyone has had this happened before and advice. I'm going to wait it out until mid June before making appointment or sooner
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:36 PM
In was on the Depo for 8 years and got pregnant immediately after my frist 'period' (same scenario, light bleeding immediately after it eneed. BUT, it can take up to a year for your cycle to fully get back on track
pippi311
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:43 PM

It took me a very long time for my cycle to get back to normal, if I recall correctly it was well over a year if not two. AND we had a lot of difficulty conceiving after and had to resort to IUI for my first 2 sons, but luckily got pregnant on our own with this third one. No one ever told me our problems conceiving were due to Depo but I've always wondered.

Mommy_Love12
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:04 PM
I mean I'm in no hurry in conceiving it's just I really hate having these false signs :(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 3, 2014 at 7:39 AM
I was on depo for two years after the birth of my second son. I went off it at two years and didn't conceive until two months before his fifth birthday. It took almost three years to be able to get pregnant again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 3, 2014 at 7:44 AM
You have a long road.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:04 AM
It took me 6-9 months to conceive after depo. Be patient.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:23 AM
My friends aunt was not able to have kids after being on depo so long .
TrouserMouse
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:33 AM
It took me over 18 months and some manipulating of birth control pills to have a period, ovulate, and get pregnant again after depo.
MamaRae85
by *you're on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:36 AM

I got pregnant about a year after going off the shot. I still didn't have a regular cycle at the time. I don't think I even had a period before I got pregnant. I will never go back on that.

fanciepantz
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:39 AM
I would love to see a good discussion on birth control and everyone's' different experiences I was on the depo for 3 months I gained 11 lbs had terrible headaches and bled the whole time. I just had the mirena IUD put in hopefully it does better for me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)