Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ETA: Um no, you don't HAVE to Breastfeed your 2 year old

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 358 Replies
6 moms liked this
My best friend and I have been planning a wkd girls trip for 6 months. The trip is at the end of this month, and she is telling me that she doesn't think she can come anymore because she is still breastfeeding her 2 year old! Are you fucking kidding me?
She said that when we had started planning she thought she would have weaned him by now, (he turned 2 in May), but here we are June and the kid is still nursing!

Now I'm not even about to go into the whole "he's too old to be nursing" thing, but he's fucking TWO! He can be away from her breast for 2 days!! It isn't going to kill him!! The kid eats like a regular toddler! Grandma will be just fine feeing him for 2 whole days. He isn't going to starve.

This is exactly why I believe that some women like her extend Breastfeed for THEIR own attachment issues.

ETA: My issue is NOT that she chooses to still Breastfeed nor would I EVER tell anyone to stop. My issue is that her reason to cancel on me has nothing to do with what the child needs, and more to do with HER inability to go 2 days without a latch. The child is 2 years old and will be perfectly fine not breastfeeding for 2 days. Her inability to understand that, makes me frustrated at HER because it means she is canceling the trip unnecessarily.

Not to mention, we have invested $1500 for this trip so far AND I've taken time off work. I COULD bring someone else, but this is my best friend. We grew up together and will be 30 this year (October and December) we wanted to take this trip as a celebration.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 3, 2014 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lilfootmommy
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM
21 moms liked this

She is doing what she feels is best for her child. Her child will always come first to her and you will always come second. Get used to it

Lilith23
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 1:04 PM
11 moms liked this
*shield my tits* MIND YOUR OWN TITIES WILL YA!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 3, 2014 at 1:07 PM
7 moms liked this
I agree! Way too old. Why doesn't she just pump, or start weaning him today?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 3, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Get used to what? No shit children come before friends. I'm a mother myself, so there isn't anything to "get used to"

I think the issue here is more HER feeling scared to not offer him the breast for 2 days, because it may encourage him to wean.

Quoting Lilfootmommy:

She is doing what she feels is best for her child. Her child will almost come first to her and you will always come second. Get used to it

rgba
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 1:08 PM
24 moms liked this
Maybe she is just not ready to be away from him overnight, but doesn't know the right way to tell her bitchy, judgmental "friend."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherslove82
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 1:09 PM
2 moms liked this

So she's choosing her kid over you and you are jealous.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 3, 2014 at 1:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Weaning suddenly can engorge her and potentially cause mastitis. But many two year old can go a couple of days without, and still be breastfed in the future.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 3, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Freedom of tata's!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 3, 2014 at 1:09 PM
I made that suggestion to pump. She said "but I won't be there to offer it to him".

I really think that SHE is unable to detach from him, and the thought of him weaning is painful to her. She has said that when she thinks about not nursing him for 2 days it "makes her sad"

Quoting Anonymous: I agree! Way too old. Why doesn't she just pump, or start weaning him today?
Medic32
by RN=Rescue Ninja on Jun. 3, 2014 at 1:09 PM
11 moms liked this
Sounds like she has her priorities straight.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)