Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I got an invitation in the mail to my own child's baptism? MIL what have you done now?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 771 Replies
4 moms liked this
We are atheists. I have no problem with other religions and beliefs but I'd rather not waste time discussing them when we could be talking about politics, finances, vacations, food, fun, wine, etc.
I remember a couple years ago MIL showed me the gown my DH was baptised in when he was 3yo and told me she hoped my LO would be baptised in it as well. DH has told her in the past that we do not believe in God.
Fast forward to today and I get an invitation in the mail informing me to RSVP to see my son baptised?
I called the phone number and it went to this church in MILs town (which is in the next state over), they told me there's over 100 who have RSVP'd and they mailed out 500 invitations altogether IT IS ON THE SAME DAY AS HER WEDDING.
DH just got home from work and went in the shower so I'm going to show him now.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Update #3 The Talk W/ MIL

DH and I just got off the phone with MIL. My head hurts so bad, I am going to go lie down now, but I wanted to update everyone real quick because you all have been very supportive and given me a shoulder to lean on and everyone was on our side which was nice to be united for once in here. 
MIL pulled the I'm your mother, do not talk to me that way, I did not raise you to be this way CARD.

DH: Mom, what's going on?

MIL: Hi, baaaby! How are you? I miss you and that sweet grandbaby of mine and my DIL!

Mom, I got an invite today to your church, I think there was a mistake?

No, shouldn't be any mistakes, my wedding is such and such date and I just didn't put the time.

No, Mom, we were sent a baptism invitation?

Oh, they sent you that? How did they get your address?

What is going on? Is this real? 

Is what real? Of course it's real. I paid for it, baby, you don't have to worry about a thing!

We didn't ask you to do that, it's not your place!  We are Atheists and do not approve of a Baptism, that is not in our cards.

Excuse you, don't get an attitude with me. You still need to respect me. No matter what I am still your mother, whether you like it or not. I didn't raise you to be disrespectful to me. Whatever. Just think about it and I will leave the Baptism time open in case you change your mind?

Me: We can only take soo much, MIL! You just broke the straw on the camel's back. 

What does that mean? DS? DIL?

Mom, we are not coming to your wedding and we definitely are not baptizing LO. (He looked at me and said, She just will not listen, will she? I shook my head no)

MIL, we have to put him to bed now, say good bye to Grandma.

After we said goodnight, DS and I left the room, but I heard DH telling MIL she was in time out for a while and she's lucky we aren't cutting her out of our lives because we care too much about family and eventually we will forgive her, but as of right now she's in a corner.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit #1 People Are Ok W/ MIL's Plans In Here?

I am not sure why some people think it's ok and I should not hurt MIL's feelings and I should just go to the Baptism. I keep getting comments like this.

Quoting anon:

If it makes her happy what does it matter? If you don't belive in god then it's just a few hours waisted...I'm sure you've wasted more time sitting here on CM. If it were me I'd suck it up and just chalk it up as a good deed done to make someone else happy. :)

Of course she should have asked first but CLEARLY this means a lot to her so just let her have this one little thing. Of course you'll do what you want, but I personally would give her this one.

DH will be home soon and we will call MIL ASAP.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Update #2 The Talk W/ DH

Sorry my post was featured and it won't let me update it.
Dh was as shocked as me. He agrees that MIL is being manipulative. 
I called the church an hour ago and tried to cancel the baptism, their response was that I could not cancel it due to I did not authorize it! I told them the child they are inciting 500 people to is MY child. They apologized and said there is nothing they could do without my MIL's permission as she already paid in full for the baptism. I asked them what happens when I don't bring my son to it, their answer was, "Do not do that to MIL! You will crush her soul along with all of her friend and family. You need to baptize your son so he will be saved and go to heaven, you don't want him going to hell, do you?" 
I hung up the phone on them. I'm disgusted!
DH gets off work at 4 today, when he gets home we are calling MIL so we can talk to her on speakerphone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:13 PM
7 moms liked this
Whoa I'd be pissed
meaganmac
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Yikes!
Crymsm
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Haha I would be demanding a wtf question
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:14 PM
62 moms liked this
Wow. So what happens if the baby doesn't show up? LMAO
bottlesoup
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:14 PM
10 moms liked this
Oh, boy. I'm an atheist, too, but even if I wasn't your MIL crossed the line. That's like getting an invitation to your own wedding. I hope your husband sets her straight.
t1gger143
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:14 PM
12 moms liked this
Update with his response. I would be livid.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM
4 moms liked this
Holy crap! That brings the art of over stepping boundaries to an entirely new level. I hope your husband backs you up on any decision you make about this.
ashley1693
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM
10 moms liked this
I'd have told the church to just cancel the event.
I'd have been pissed.
Good luck.
ermka
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM
4 moms liked this
Wow... It'll kinda suck for her when your son's not there...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
We are going to her wedding, it is the same day on the invitation!

Quoting bleumonster: Wow. So what happens if the baby doesn't show up? LMAO
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN