Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't know why we bother...

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:08 AM
  • 8 Replies

I am even more convinced now that children will learn things in their own time. 

DS has been wanting to ride a bike without training wheels since last summer and we've tried to teach him but he just didn't seem to be able to keep his balance on the bike. He was frustrated that he was 8 and still couldn't do it. We just kept telling him that one day it will just click and he'll ride off without even thinking about it. 

That time was last night! DS asked DH to get his bike out so he could practice in the cul-de-sac behind out house. DH got the bike out and made sure it was safe to ride (he hasn't touched it since last year) and followed DS to the cul-de-sac to help him if he wanted. DH came home a few minutes later with a big grin on his face because DS was riding like a pro! No help needed! DS was so proud of himself too! 

I feel so privilaged that I get to watch him grow and learn! 

by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Runner36
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Good job!!!!  That is always such a huge deal!!!  clapping

latsyrk
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:10 AM
That's such a great moment! I loved when my kids took off for the first time. Congrats to your son :)
Creekie.
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:10 AM

That's so awesome!!!! :) Good for him!

Caidysmom
by MindyM on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:12 AM
:)
mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

yay!  Our kids all learned pretty young, like 2 & 3.  Dh always raised the training wheels so when they used them it felt like they were tipping over, so it was more instinct to stay balanced.  I was 7 when I learned...I felt pretty crappy about that lol.  But my friends didn't seem to mind me sitting on their bike seat while they pedaled me around town lol.

mom2devin11005
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this

That's awesome!! My son was the same way.  My husband and I tried and tried to teach him..... we went over to my mothers house and his uncle was there and told him to get on the bike and within 5 minutes he was riding like a pro.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

yay!  Our kids all learned pretty young, like 2 & 3.  Dh always raised the training wheels so when they used them it felt like they were tipping over, so it was more instinct to stay balanced.  I was 7 when I learned...I felt pretty crappy about that lol.  But my friends didn't seem to mind me sitting on their bike seat while they pedaled me around town lol.

Yeah. He was bummed because all his friends could ride and he just couldn't and it wasn't lack of trying either. Guess his balance took a little longer to develop. LOL. 

My DD is 8 and she is still having some problems but she is very tiny for her age and has a hard time just holding the bike up. LOL. 

erin708
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
That was my dd in april. She will be eight next mobth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)