Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My thoughts on transgendered kids.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 94 Replies
2 moms liked this
I was a serious tomboy growing up. I had short hair, dressed in my older male cousins hand me down clothes, played with trucks and cars over barbies, watched GI Joe over My Little Ponys, wanted my name to be Brad, and hated anything frilly. My mom played hell getting me in dresses for church.

Not once did she tell me I was a boy or I could be a boy. She didn't try to force me to play with girl toys or make me have a pink room. But I knew I was a girl. As I got older...I grew out of wanting to be a boy....at least until my period started. LOL. But I am 37 and have no adverse effects from my parents not treating me like a boy. I am not gay. I love being a mom. I still am more comfy in jeans and a hoodie.

But I am a woman and I love it.

I wonder if my parents had let me make that call when I was 5 if I would be who I am now. Strong, confidant, all woman, loving, caring, etc
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:50 AM
16 moms liked this

A tomboy and feeling like an acutal boy are very different.  

JackAttacks
by Angel on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

A tomboy and feeling like an acutal boy are very different.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:52 AM
8 moms liked this

I really don't think these young children know any better.  These transgender kids seem to be coming out of the woodwork right now and it's ridiculous.  I completely agree with supporting them until they are old enough to know, but I'm sorry - a 5 year old dosn't have the background, experience or knowledge to know any better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:53 AM
This is true.

Quoting Anonymous:

I really don't think these young children know any better.  These transgender kids seem to be coming out of the woodwork right now and it's ridiculous.  I completely agree with supporting them until they are old enough to know, but I'm sorry - a 5 year old dosn't have the background, experience or knowledge to know any better.

Mommy383
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:55 AM

I agree. 

Quoting Anonymous:

zeenah
by Zarah on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:55 AM

I was a tomboy until I was 17. I never thought I should be a boy though just didn't feel girly.

Big sister to be! Nov. 2014

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

There is a difference between being a "tomboy" and being transgender. When you are transgender you feel like you are in the wrong body with the wrong parts and it is terrifying. I couldn't imagine feeling that way, how scary for such small children. 

I think that parents to acknowledge and seek help for their children and themselves are incredibly strong and amazing people!

Mom-to-2kids
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Do you personally know any trans kids?

Quoting Anonymous:

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting zeenah:

I was a tomboy until I was 17. I never thought I should be a boy though just didn't feel girly.

And this is the problem with gender stereotypes. You were being you and it should have nothing to do with whether or not someone has a penis or a vagina. Just let kids be kids!

Connie04
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:01 AM
From what I have read, most of these kids are adamant that they believe they are the opposite sex. It is not only that they want to dress differently; they truly believe they are not the gender they were born with. That situation is definitely cause for concern for the parents.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)