Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What Do You Think About This? Christians Being Forced To..

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:48 AM
  • 442 Replies
21 moms liked this

I've seen a few articles lately about Christian businesses/cake makers, etc being sued by gay couples and forced to take sensitivity training because they would not make a wedding cake for a gay couple.

One I heard of was so bizarre. A Christian cake maker was sued, because he did not want to make a wedding cake for a gay couple. And guess what? Gay marriage wasn't even legal in that state! Wtf? LMAO. So he was basically sued, for not doing something that went against his religion, for an event that would not have been legally binding lol.

IMO, Any business, any time, has the right to refuse service to anyone. Whether they are gay, black, white, have purple hair, red nose, whatever. It is your business and you absolutely can dictate who YOU serve.

It's no different from a shop owner not liking the look of someone and saying "Hey, get out of my store" No one ever cries or sues for that, do they? No. Because it is THEIR establishment and they have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason.

Would it make you a shitty person in some cases? Absolutely. But, you should not be forced to render YOUR services to anyone, period.

How would you feel if say you made dresses for a living, and you decided not to make a dress for a customer for ANY reason, but you were sued for it? You wouldn't like that and it is absolutely not fair to force someone to render their services to a customer they don't want to serve.

Religon has nothing to do with the way I feel. I just feel as a business owner you absolutely have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason, and should not be able to be sued for that. Period.

by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:53 AM

bump.

curious1145
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:58 AM
20 moms liked this
Are we going back to the south in the 1950's? I agree with a little of what you're saying. However, if you open up a business that serves the public, you shouldn't be able to refuse to serve someone unless they are violent or belligerent. The suing thing is a little out-of hand however.
carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

bump.

carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:02 AM
7 moms liked this

I disagree. I think if you are doing the work of running your own business, then you can refuse whoever you want, for any reason.

And like I said would it make you a bad person in some cases and would it hurt your business? Yes, it would. But you should still have that basic right to not be forced to render your services to someone you don't want to.

Quoting curious1145: Are we going back to the south in the 1950's? I agree with a little of what you're saying. However, if you open up a business that serves the public, you shouldn't be able to refuse to serve someone unless they are violent or belligerent. The suing thing is a little out-of hand however.

paknari
by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:05 AM
25 moms liked this
I'm a Christian and I think these business owners are ridiculous. You don't need to know their personal business to run your business. You will not turn gay if you do your job. What if a gay man comes in for a birthday cake? Does thatake it different?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkcsmtlgy
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:05 AM
19 moms liked this

I am not condoning anything these people did but I don't understand one thing. Why would you want something as special as a wedding cake made by a person that refuses to do it?

mom2the.rescue
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:05 AM
11 moms liked this

Good post, I'm usually to inpatient to read something that looks that long.  But I 100% agree with you.  People will stop being entrepreneurs if they're afraid they'll have to go against their beliefs.  What if a Nazi Extremist wants a cake with a swastika on it?  Would you have to do it?

RheaF
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:05 AM
19 moms liked this
There was no reason the couples could not go to another business. A private business should be allowed to refuse to do something that goes against their religious beliefs.
L202M
by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Technically, I agree with you, but they would have severe consquences in the community.  To be sued is ridiculous.

Quoting carterscutie85:

I disagree. I think if you are doing the work of running your own business, then you can refuse whoever you want, for any reason.

And like I said would it make you a bad person in some cases and would it hurt your business? Yes, it would. But you should still have that basic right to not be forced to render your services to someone you don't want to.

Quoting curious1145: Are we going back to the south in the 1950's? I agree with a little of what you're saying. However, if you open up a business that serves the public, you shouldn't be able to refuse to serve someone unless they are violent or belligerent. The suing thing is a little out-of hand however.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 4, 2014 at 9:06 AM
14 moms liked this
Such an awful idea. I agree that things are a little out of hand with all the PC crap, but let's be real, I'm sure plenty of people had your mentality during desegregation..."It's my store! Why should I have to serve those black people?" doesn't really make things any better in the world.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN