Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My neighbors cat came into our house and killed our birds UPDATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 571 Replies
6 moms liked this

We have/had three finches. I ran downstairs when I heard a bang. I walk into the kitchen to find the neighbors cat with one bird in her mouth one dead next to her. The other one we later found luckily still alive

I was confused as to why my neighbors cat was in my house. I took some pictures before getting the cat to go into the garage.

I still have no clue how the cat got into the house.

I went over to my neighbors house and banged on the door. They said there was no way their cat would do that but the pictures didnt lie.

I am so upset. I am glad one of my finches survived but the other two are gone. Not only did I love them but I also spent some money on them.

My neighbor didnt even apologize. She just said "well cats eat birds"...I just want to scream at her...cats should not go into someones house and eat birds. I understand she didnt physically make her cat do it but she could have prevented it by keeping her cat inside or at least she could have apologized

DH says we should tell her we want the money we spent on the birds back but idk if that would just cause more drama

ETA: My neighbor is in the wrong. I am going to ask her nicely for the money if not we will take her to court. The birds were about $150 each so $300. I know for some that is not a lot of money but for me it is and I actually saved up money just to get them 

Update
Pest control came and confirmed that there was no way into our house besides the doors and windows. All our windows have safety mechanisms so it must have been the door that the cat opened. Most likely the back door as that shuts itself. We got different door handles that are more animal proof.

We asked about the chances of a wild animal doing the same thing and based on where we live, while it is not impossible, it is unlikely that a wild animal here would open the door. Which makes sense as I have lived in this house for about 50 years and we never had an issue with one wild animal in out house.

Update 2: My neighbor came to apologize and paid for the finches. Apparently she met with he lawyer and the lawyer told her she is in the wrong 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 5, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Sec. 4-93. Animals at large prohibited.

(a) All pet animals, except birds, shall be kept under restraint. It shall be unlawful for the owner or keeper of any pet animal, except birds, to permit such animal to be at large in the City, with or without the owner or keeper's knowledge. The following shall be exempt from this prohibition:

(1) Animals under the control of a public law enforcement agency.

(2) Animals not under restraint in a City natural area or recreation area pursuant to an applicable permit issued under Article IX or Article X of Chapter 23.

(3) Animals under the control of City employees or contractors when used for maintenance or management activities in City recreation areas, as defined in § 23-202.

(4) Animals in areas designated or signed permitting animals to be at large, such as dog parks.

(b) All pet birds within the City shall be kept under physical control at all times. For the purposes of this Section,physical control shall not require the use of a leash, lead or tether, but shall require that the owner or keeper of said pet bird be able to immediately control the bird, physically or verbally, so that the bird does not present a threat to the safety of persons or property.

(c) All female animals in heat shall be kept inside a building or within a fence or other enclosure which limits the animal to a particular premises, so that the animal cannot come into contact with a male animal except for a planned breeding. When allowed outside to relieve itself, said animal shall be under the observation of the owner or keeper.

(d) Doves and pigeons kept as pets shall be exempt from the provisions of this Division.

(e) Fences which are intended as enclosures for any animal shall be securely constructed, adequate for the purpose and kept in good repair.

Sec. 4-95. Public nuisance prohibited.

It shall be unlawful for any owner or keeper to fail to exercise proper care and control of his or her animal to prevent it from becoming a public nuisance. For the purposes of this Section, a public nuisance includes an animal that is not a dangerous or vicious animal but is otherwise a safety or health hazard, damages or destroys the property of another or creates offensive odors which materially interfere with or disrupt another person in the conduct of lawful activities at such person's home.

(Ord. No. 160, 1986, § 1(35-21), 11-4-86; Ord. No. 138, 2009, § 8, 1-5-10)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:50 AM
How did the cat get into your house?
newmom121812
by Gold Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:51 AM
3 moms liked this
I'd get the money. That's fucked up. Her cat came into your house and killed your pets. Or you can have the cat put down
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:51 AM
IDK. The doors we closed none of the windows were opened. I really have no clue. She has never been in the house before.

Quoting Anonymous: How did the cat get into your house?
Krysta784
by Dani on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:52 AM
13 moms liked this
Um actually I think the blame falls on YOU for not keeping your house shut up so a cat can't get inside...

Outside cats wander, and yes, cats do eat birds. We have two indoor cats and the other day my DH accidentally left a window open while we were gone. We came back to our cats sitting on our porch and a sparrow inside our house.

Animals will be animals and it's YOUR job to make it so no strange animals can get into your home. Not your neighbor's.

Sorry for your loss but I don't think your neighbor owes you anything.
two4one
by Platinum Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Finches are sweet little birds. I would demand that she pays you the money you spent on them. It doesn't matter how the cat got it, the fact is the cat got in and killed your birds. You would win in court

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow....I dont know how the cat got in but even if one of my windows was open for fresh air it would be okay for the cat to just come into myself

It is HER cat and she should keep it inside. It isnt an only outdoor cat

Quoting Krysta784: Um actually I think the blame falls on YOU for not keeping your house shut up so a cat can't get inside...

Outside cats wander, and yes, cats do eat birds. We have two indoor cats and the other day my DH accidentally left a window open while we were gone. We came back to our cats sitting on our porch and a sparrow inside our house.

Animals will be animals and it's YOUR job to make it so no strange animals can get into your home. Not your neighbor's.

Sorry for your loss but I don't think your neighbor owes you anything.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:54 AM
I would demands she pay to replace them.
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:55 AM
9 moms liked this

I mean the cat got in some how. Its an animal, they kill stuff. I suggest you find out how it got in, fix it, and move on.

fairyjester
by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:55 AM
14 moms liked this

i would defiantly make her replace them.

and the next time that cat was in my house it would be straight to the pound , since the neighbor is incapable of being a responsible pet owner.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:55 AM

You can sue her in small claims court.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)