Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 7 year old can't read...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 72 Replies
1 mom liked this
I requested she be tested for dyslexia, at her IEP Meeting I was basically told she Is too smart for her own good. I was basically told because her iq is so high (it's 152) and even her lowest scores where in the average range that she's probably not reading because it's boring to her and her brain takes in information faster than she can read it...
Great! So how do I get the kid reading at grade level? They can't give her an IEP because her scores are so high and she shows no signs of dyslexia or a tracking problem. Her vocabulary is college level, and her reasoning is Highschool level. She was able to tell the psychologist how revenge and forgiveness are similar and define words like metamorphosis, migration, sedimentary and inertia with examples. The tests the special Ed teacher have her where basically placement tests and she could do math up to mid 4th grade, and could retell a story she listened to as well as they would expect a 12th grader to.

The tests she scores lower on where mostly because of her age it was stuff like drawing a shape she was shown or tracing between 2 lines.

I guess now we try to encourage her to read as much as possible and find things for her to read that interest her. For starters today she asked how bees make beehives so I had her read an article online and made her write me a report on what she read. Even though her reading is slow she can remember what she reads so I guess that's a plus.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:47 PM
My friend brought her some books over about astrology and rocks and she actually say down and read one, slowly and painfully but it's a start! Woohoo, maybe if I keep her interested she will catch up by the time school starts again.
autodidact
by Snarknado on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:49 PM
3 moms liked this

so she CAN read. 

poshkat
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:53 PM
Buy her books based on her interest. Ds loves minecraft *groan* so I bought him the books that help him in the game. He learned new words and can tell us what they mean.

Dh is not a reader but I end up buying him books about sports and he reads them, not very often but he will pick them up randomly.

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

she's reading, but you say she can't read.....

she's 7......

finishing what? first grade? 

I'm calling troll on this one. 

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:58 PM
5 moms liked this

...and my kid pooped in the potty today.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:59 PM
The best thing you can do is have her read out loud every day. I find it sad her school isn't doing more if she's not reading at grade level
Outspoken.Mime
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:59 PM
2 moms liked this

If she read an article and wrote a report how can she not read?

iHEAVENn
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Take her to the book store, let her pick out a handful of books that she would like to read... Make a reading chart and once she finishes a certain number of books she can go back and get new ones :) 

-:Logan Jacob:--:December 1st 2007:--:7 Pounds 4 Ounces:- -:My Everything:- 

-:Hunter Xavier:--:EDD 7-12-14:- / -:Adjusted arrival date due to large ovarian cyst 7-02-14:-

baby development

Outspoken.Mime
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:00 PM

I guess the part of the post where she is a baby Einstein escaped you?

Quoting Anonymous: The best thing you can do is have her read out loud every day. I find it sad her school isn't doing more if she's not reading at grade level

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:01 PM
Not at the level she should be she will be in third grade next year she should be able to read much more fluently, I just don't get it it's so frustrating for her for me for everyone. Her teacher has been working with her extra in class she has stayed after school Every Wednesday since Christmas for tutoring and the progress in very little.

Quoting autodidact:

so she CAN read. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)