Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Such a constant battle!!!! Hair Gods HELP ME!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies

My dd has long, thick hair. I brush it several times a day.. the knots are ridiculous. I have do deal with her crying and fit throwing because she doesn't want to brush it herself (she's old enough). I've tried detanglers, different conditioners, etc. Help me! She needs it long for cheer or else it would have been cut a looooong time ago! What do you Mommas use to make the hair more managable? Has anyone tried that ASOTV tangle free brush?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
JC2223
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:19 AM

My DD's hair was super long a few months ago. She was growing it out for 3 years to donate to Locks of Love. Her hair was past her butt, super thick and very wavy/curly. When I wash her hair, I leave her conditioner in for a bit, then rinse it out while brushing the knots out using the Wet Brush. The Wet Brush doesn't seem like it's getting the knots out, but it does and it's mostly pain free. I put a hair serum in her hair when it's wet to help control the frizz when it's dry. This helps a little with keeping it from tangling more. She also wears her hair up in a ponytail or braid a majority of the time. She sleeps with a braid or bun so she doesn't get it all tangled up in her sleep.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:37 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:52 AM

BUMP!

YNot4ever
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:06 AM

How old is she?!?!  Even if she needs it long for cheer, if she isn't willing to at least help maintain, I would cut it.  Force some accountability.  I was responsible for my hair (though with mom's oversight at times... I was never good at combing out the very back of my head) from a very young age.  

I have had long curly hair most of my life.  It kinks, it curls, it does whatever the hell it wants... literally.  I do not wash it often and it just dries it out, which makes the tangling worse.  I condition it daily.  Put the conditioner in, leave it sit for five minutes, the comb it out with a wide tooth comb while still in the shower.  Once I am done showering, I wrap it with a towel for few minutes.  I then put in some conditioning cream (not liquid spray - though you can make you own of that 1 part conditioner, 3 parts water).  Combing it through with my fingers.  Let me hair air dry all the way.  No blow drying.  

Part of making it more manageable daily is to keep it moisturized and healthy.   Do not use products with alcohol, they will dry it out.  Keep the dead ends trimmed off of it.  Do not brush, try a wide tooth comb when the hair is wet.  Conditioner is your new best friend!!  Deep conditioning masque once or more a week will start to soften the hair and help with the manageability.  

When I was a kid, braiding it was a life saver.  My mom would french braid it and I would literally wear it like that till the next shower. As you braid you can use conditioning cream, it will soften her hair but also give it some hold to where it will stay.  

I am Caucasian, however have noticed that some of the hair products for multi-ethnic hair are better for my hair.  My hair is closer in texture to some multi-ethnic hair, than typically caucasian hair.  This was trial and error though to find something that worked and didn't leave it greasy.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN