Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you make your kids wear sunscreen?

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:06 AM
  • 479 Replies

Random question. I just sort of always assumed everyone did, but I was at the pool the other day, applying my generous layer of sunscreen and a little boy (maybe five) at the table next to me asked his mom if he needed sunscreen. She said no, to which he responded that I was wearing some. His mom said "Well she's a redhead. If she could tan she wouldn't need it." I thought that was weird.

I was down at the lake with another family just a few weeks ago and they didn't put sunscreen on their one year old because she would tan and not burn.

So. If you tan/your kids tan instead of burn, do you still wear sunscreen? I am not familiar with the ways of the tan ones...

Also, for the record, I live in Kansas, so there's a lot of sun right now, and the UV index is usually no lower than seven.

by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:07 AM
3 moms liked this
My son will tan and burn on his cheeks. We put sun screen on him even when he used to fight it.
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:07 AM
I do. When he's older, maybe 12 if he really fights it I will let him learn the lesson the hard way. He has his daddy's skin. He will burn.
zeenah
by Zarah on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd tans but we still uses sunscreen because she can still get burned I don't wear it though.
lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Yes I make them wear sunscreen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:09 AM
3 moms liked this
2 of mine tan, 2 of mine, burn. All wear hats and sunscreen.
Mamabear010
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:09 AM
10 moms liked this

Yes, I do. A large generous amount and I literally set a timer for re-applying. Skin cancer runs in my family. Even with a tan the UVA rays can still damage the skin cell's DNA leading to cancer.

danie24
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:10 AM
10 moms liked this

I don't allow my kids to wear sunscreen.

It's full of chemicals and nanoparticles. 

They're 9, 6 and 2.. and have never been burned in their lives.. and we all have fair skin, blue eyes and blonde hair.

Instead of sunscreen we use organic coconut oil (SPF 10 or 15), wear hats, sunsafe clothes and avoid direct sunlight at the peak hours.

vbway
by Valerie on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids are very very light skinned. They have no choice but to wear it. But neither of them wants to burn, so they never fight me. But we do used natural sun screens. I avoid the nasty chemical when possible. 

Mother.May.I.
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I have 2 blonde hair kids that will tan and 1 brunette that does not. They will all burn. The fair skin more than the other 2 but we sunscreen all 3. Even my husband that tans very well still uses sunscreen. It isn't always about not burning either. When you tan you are damaging your skin so suncreen is still a necessity. 

Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:11 AM
2 moms liked this
When its sunny and we are going to be outside for a long time, yes. I usually forget otherwise. I'm in Oregon and we don't see the sun often so we forget what to do when it comes out. Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)