Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

why can't minimum wage be livable? edit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 300 Replies
4 moms liked this
I work 60 hours a week and I still can't make it. I just can't understand why you can't live off of what the government deems a livable minimum wage. I used to make really good money and I have a degree in advertising and marketing and yet I still can't find anything more than a minimum wage job I don't understand why this government think that we can live off of such little amount. I don't have any extras besides my phone which is $30 a month. I need something for my jobs to contact me.  I use internet from my next door neighbor. I still can barely afford to get by, barely clothe myself or my kids at least we can have food on the table.

Why are companies so greedy? Why is insurance so expensive? Why is everything so inflated? Why isn't 60 hours a week enough?!

Edit: Since so many of you kind, compassionate and intelligent women want to remind me I shouldn't have kids. My husband died just over 5 years ago. I left my career to be a sahm when my now almost 10 year old was born. My 5 year old was a month old. We had a very comfortable life. Savings, the little we got for life insurance, and the tiny amount we get for SSI death benefits only stretched so far. I lived in our house until it was clear it wasn't possible to afford it. I chose the cheapest one bedroom apartment I could find. I sleep on a couch while my babies share a room. I had a career before marrying and having kids. I did what everybody thinks is the right way to do it. Now this is my life. Would you like to bring my husband back to life? Pay for me to relocate? No. You can't and you don't. Be grateful that your lives are so easy.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 6, 2014 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 6, 2014 at 2:38 PM

What do you do for work?

deepfryerdemons
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 2:39 PM
22 moms liked this
It's called wealth hoarding and it's not something that we can fix without a lot of communal effort.
b1the1change
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting deepfryerdemons: It's called wealth hoarding and it's not something that we can fix without a lot of communal effort.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 6, 2014 at 2:40 PM
11 moms liked this
Because corporations run our country and profit is more important than people.
b1the1change
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 2:41 PM
15 moms liked this
Minimum wage didn't follow inflation. The rich get richer while everyone else gets screwed
momavanessa
by Violeta on Jun. 6, 2014 at 2:43 PM

bump

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 2:43 PM
6 moms liked this

We can raise minimum wage the cost will only be passed onto you and you will be in the same boat you are in now.  Since groceries, gas, etc. anything were minimum wage workers are employeed will get passed onto the consumer.

o.O....
by Cara on Jun. 6, 2014 at 2:45 PM
18 moms liked this
Minimum wage is supposed to be a starting point- not something you live on for the rest of your life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 6, 2014 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Minimum wage isn't considered a living wage. A living wage is closer to 26 dollars an hour for a family of four.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 6, 2014 at 2:46 PM
I'm a cashier at a grocery store and a part time receptionist for a car dealership.

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you do for work?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)