Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*Insert Grabby Controversial Attention-Seeking Title Here*

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:03 PM
  • 26 Replies

Poll

Question: What would you do?

Options:

Take the better paying job (no college)

Keep the overnight job (stay in college)

Keep looking for other jobs while going to school

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 26

View Results

LOL sorry I just needed to get your attention. The real title was What Would You Do *Career Advice Poll* Now that you're here please help!

Right now my husband is working an overnight shift and going to college during the day. He's earning a degree in Emergency Medical Science so that he can be a paramedic. Currently he is a nationally and state certified EMT-Basic. This is kind of long but stick with me!

He got hired as an EMT back in January at the company he works for. We moved to the city because back in our small town he was making only $9/hr but at the new company as an EMT his pay jumped to almost  $13 a hour. Life was good. But then all the EMT's in his company got laid off in March. The company knew that he had 2 kids to support so they did him a favor and gave him another position in the company working overnights, but not as an EMT. It was a security guard position and he had to take a 2 week course and get a CLEET certification for that. So he did. However, along with changing positions they changed his salary. Now he's making $10.25/ hour but without the overtime of his previous job, so now we are actually making LESS money per paycheck than we were before we moved. The upside is that because they switched him to overnights, it freed up his days to go to school! Yay! So now he is back in school (started the summer semester last monday) and in a year or 2 he will graduate and be able to become a paramedic. Their starting pay is around $16 an hour so that will be awesome for us. Keep in mind that we live in Oklahoma and the cost of living is low.

To support his going back to school we took our tax return and completely paid off a year of rent. I honestly thought this would keep us off welfare. Dang though it's not enough. He is making $10.25/ hour but after taxes his take home pay is only $700-$750 every two weeks. After bills and car payments and insurance we barely have enough for gas and food. I get a little disablity from the Army (injured in the line of duty) and that $360 a month is what we've been using for food. So I'm planning to apply for food stamps and WIC next week reluctantly only until he graduates. My husband is getting depressed. Today he came home and said "look babe, this ambulance company is hiring EMT-Basics for $12/hour!" 

That brings me to the question. Would you take the higher paying job? Or would you make it work and tough it out with the lower paying job so that you could finish school? 

If he works during the day and on call for emergencies he won't be able to go to school to get his degree. If he doesn't we'll have to apply for assistance. Only until he graduates, but still. I'm thinking we should tough it out until he finishes school. What would you do?

PS before you say Why don't you work. I was injured in the line of duty while serving in the Army Reserves. I cannot work. I also homeschool. 

by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HipsterElephant
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:08 PM

bump

HipsterElephant
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:11 PM

BUMP

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Living without enough money is really hard, but you have to try and look at what will benefit your family in the long term and in this case that means him going to (and staying in) school.

BUT having said that, if he is unhappy because he feels like he isn't supporting his family then no ones happy you know? There's no point spending the next year or whatever with everyone miserable and struggling. He can always go back to school later, there's no rule that says it has to be right now.

PS: I can't believe that you were injured in the line of duty and only get $360 a month!! That's outrageous.

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:16 PM
Take the new job and enroll in online school.
HipsterElephant
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Living without enough money is really hard, but you have to try and look at what will benefit your family in the long term and in this case that means him going to (and staying in) school.

BUT having said that, if he is unhappy because he feels like he isn't supporting his family then no ones happy you know? There's no point spending the next year or whatever with everyone miserable and struggling. He can always go back to school later, there's no rule that says it has to be right now.

PS: I can't believe that you were injured in the line of duty and only get $360 a month!! That's outrageous.

It's my left ankle. It was shattered during a FTX (field training exercise) in 2006. I guess I could always try to petition the VA to raise my disablity. Not sure if they'd do it though. My friend lost his leg in Kuwait and he gets just a little bit more than I do. It's ridiculous.

HipsterElephant
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:18 PM

We would have done that if he could. You have to take physical classes to get an Emergency Science degree because you have to do labs and operations (field training).

Quoting bmw29: Take the new job and enroll in online school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:22 PM
If you can't work, why is your disability rating so low? Have you thought about trying to raise your rating?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:22 PM

He should try for the higher paying job, and go to school part time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Other

I would've finished my degree before having kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Have him stay in school! It will be hard, but the end payoff is better.
Y'all hang tough and everything will get better.
Don't you get ssi? Or disability from the state? You should. At least look into to it.
Also tell hub to make sure to get a phlebotomy certificate. Then he can work in an er with his emt and make more hourly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN