Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*Insert Grabby Controversial Attention-Seeking Title Here*

Poll

Question: What would you do?

Options:

Take the better paying job (no college)

Keep the overnight job (stay in college)

Keep looking for other jobs while going to school

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 26

View Results

LOL sorry I just needed to get your attention. The real title was What Would You Do *Career Advice Poll* Now that you're here please help!

Right now my husband is working an overnight shift and going to college during the day. He's earning a degree in Emergency Medical Science so that he can be a paramedic. Currently he is a nationally and state certified EMT-Basic. This is kind of long but stick with me!

He got hired as an EMT back in January at the company he works for. We moved to the city because back in our small town he was making only $9/hr but at the new company as an EMT his pay jumped to almost  $13 a hour. Life was good. But then all the EMT's in his company got laid off in March. The company knew that he had 2 kids to support so they did him a favor and gave him another position in the company working overnights, but not as an EMT. It was a security guard position and he had to take a 2 week course and get a CLEET certification for that. So he did. However, along with changing positions they changed his salary. Now he's making $10.25/ hour but without the overtime of his previous job, so now we are actually making LESS money per paycheck than we were before we moved. The upside is that because they switched him to overnights, it freed up his days to go to school! Yay! So now he is back in school (started the summer semester last monday) and in a year or 2 he will graduate and be able to become a paramedic. Their starting pay is around $16 an hour so that will be awesome for us. Keep in mind that we live in Oklahoma and the cost of living is low.

To support his going back to school we took our tax return and completely paid off a year of rent. I honestly thought this would keep us off welfare. Dang though it's not enough. He is making $10.25/ hour but after taxes his take home pay is only $700-$750 every two weeks. After bills and car payments and insurance we barely have enough for gas and food. I get a little disablity from the Army (injured in the line of duty) and that $360 a month is what we've been using for food. So I'm planning to apply for food stamps and WIC next week reluctantly only until he graduates. My husband is getting depressed. Today he came home and said "look babe, this ambulance company is hiring EMT-Basics for $12/hour!" 

That brings me to the question. Would you take the higher paying job? Or would you make it work and tough it out with the lower paying job so that you could finish school? 

If he works during the day and on call for emergencies he won't be able to go to school to get his degree. If he doesn't we'll have to apply for assistance. Only until he graduates, but still. I'm thinking we should tough it out until he finishes school. What would you do?

PS before you say Why don't you work. I was injured in the line of duty while serving in the Army Reserves. I cannot work. I also homeschool. 

by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
Outspoken.Mime
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Life was good on $13 an hour?  Holy hell....my life must be fucking spectacular.

HipsterElephant
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Well the job he wants to get is from 7AM-7PM mon-Friday so he wouldn't be able to go to school. Maybe ever. Especially since EMT's work on ambulances and don't always get off when scheduled. If there is an emergency you don't get to clock out. Sucks I know. :(

Quoting Anonymous:

He should try for the higher paying job, and go to school part time.

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Are there night classes?

Quoting HipsterElephant:

We would have done that if he could. You have to take physical classes to get an Emergency Science degree because you have to do labs and operations (field training).

Quoting bmw29: Take the new job and enroll in online school.

firespurity
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you need to raise your disability with the VA. You usually do have to fight for the amount that actually reflects your injuries. My dad was blinded by an accident in combat. They originally said he was 20%, but after he petitioned then they raised him to 60%. Then something else went wrong and it went up to 100%.
HipsterElephant
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Life was good in that we were able to get off of welfare and were able to start putting money into savings. If we wanted to eat out, we could once a week. If we wanted to buy the kids new clothes we could get them from a real store instead of a thrift store. After living most of your life in poverty going from $9 to $13 is a little like winning the lottery. lol. 

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

Life was good on $13 an hour?  Holy hell....my life must be fucking spectacular.

HipsterElephant
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Wow that's amazing. I really do need to call them. I hate battling with them because the officers there really blow you off. I will call around on Monday.

Quoting firespurity: I think you need to raise your disability with the VA. You usually do have to fight for the amount that actually reflects your injuries. My dad was blinded by an accident in combat. They originally said he was 20%, but after he petitioned then they raised him to 60%. Then something else went wrong and it went up to 100%.

firespurity
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Cost of living is low in Oklahoma. My 3 bedroom home in a nice but not great area is $800 a month with utilities included. And that's fairly typical.

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

HipsterElephant
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:28 PM

They don't offer night classes. They have a few weekend ones and some online but not enough to come close to earning his degree. Only like 6 of the classes he needs can be done online.

Quoting bmw29: Are there night classes?
Quoting HipsterElephant:

We would have done that if he could. You have to take physical classes to get an Emergency Science degree because you have to do labs and operations (field training).

Quoting bmw29: Take the new job and enroll in online school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:28 PM
Ok so you shattered your ankle during training. Exactly why can't you work? Whoever gave you the disability rating understood too that a shattered ankle doesn't mean you can't work the rest of your life. Does it mean that you probably won't be able to stand for long periods... Sure. But you need to rethink YOUR life. What would you do if something ever happened to him?
firespurity
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:29 PM
It's no fun. :( but it might get you through this hard time.

Quoting HipsterElephant:

Wow that's amazing. I really do need to call them. I hate battling with them because the officers there really blow you off. I will call around on Monday.

Quoting firespurity: I think you need to raise your disability with the VA. You usually do have to fight for the amount that actually reflects your injuries. My dad was blinded by an accident in combat. They originally said he was 20%, but after he petitioned then they raised him to 60%. Then something else went wrong and it went up to 100%.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)