Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Food issues with my ex's new wife

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 779 Replies
4 moms liked this
My ex and I have been divorced for 2.5 years. Our sons are 5 and 7. He recently got remarried and the woman he married is a health food freak. Seriously, some of the meals she makes make me wanna gag. Basically almost all veggies, only fish, kale, spaghetti squash instead of pasta, so on and so forth. Needless to say, my sons aren't thrilled.

The problem? My husband and her have recently adopted the rule of "you don't like it, you don't eat". My sons will choke it down, but they say that they cry and hate it, but dad is "mean" and really won't feed them anything but what she prepared- he saves their plates and if they're hungry later, they only get that.

I had to drop off my boys tonight and them crying on the way there broke my heart. We went for burgers beforehand but knowing my babies are unhappy kills me. My SIL is a lawyer and he's apparently doing nothing court worthy, but I hate it :(
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 7, 2014 at 2:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GraysonsMom_
by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 2:11 AM
4 moms liked this
I personally don't like any foods like that so I feel bad for them. They shouldn't be forced to eat something that they dislike so much they are crying about it. Have you talked to your ex about it?
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 2:13 AM
55 moms liked this
I think it's good for kids to try new things....but I hope they can learn to strike a balance between some of the kid's favorite meals and the healthy eating they now prefer.
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 2:13 AM
31 moms liked this
Pack them some PB&JS in their bags or something. Hehe
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 7, 2014 at 2:14 AM
204 moms liked this

There is actually nothing wrong with what they're doing. Feeding your kids healthy food? How appalling! And they're not even forcing your kids to eat the food! Leave this situation alone! It's none of your business. Your children are learning that there are other foods in life other than junk. If you stop going on about this they might calm down and actually enjoy it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 7, 2014 at 2:14 AM
5 moms liked this
Yes. I tried to nicely being it up to him, but he basically said I should butt out, he's not "coddling them" and that they should eat what they're served since he's not making them a second dinner when they're "whiny".

Quoting GraysonsMom_: I personally don't like any foods like that so I feel bad for them. They shouldn't be forced to eat something that they dislike so much they are crying about it. Have you talked to your ex about it?
ame85
by Chemistry cat on Jun. 7, 2014 at 2:14 AM
34 moms liked this
I agree with him. However, I also offer a food I am reasonably sure the kids will eat at each meal, in addition to other healthy choices.

Perhaps some solidarity is in order. Try making an effort to clean up your diets as well and make healthy foods the norm in your home. Just a thought.
k_dinapoli
by Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 2:14 AM
25 moms liked this
Healthy food makes *you* want to gag? What a shame that your children aren't learning anything.

Sorry in a bitchy mood.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jun. 7, 2014 at 2:14 AM
11 moms liked this
It's so sad that they're creating such an unpleasant atmosphere for the children over something so trivial....
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jun. 7, 2014 at 2:16 AM
1 mom liked this

What she is fixing isn't junk food but your children aren't used to it. I would continue to feed them before you drop them off. How long do they stay there...one night...two nights or more each week?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 7, 2014 at 2:17 AM
13 moms liked this
That's sad. It would be one thing ig they liked those foods and just didn't want them. There needs to be a compromise. They should have time to adjust to the foods, not just shoving them at them. I would suggest making them try x amount of bites of everything. If they don't like it they can have a sandwich or something.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)