Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you attend a barbecue like this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 821 Replies
These are excerpts from the invitation.

"I will have a few things to share food and drink wise but please bring your own if you want something specific. I'll also have a vegetarian grill top for those who need that. To avoid killing the birthday girl, please don't bring any literal corn foods- cheetos, fritos, doritos, corn tortillas, etc. Don't worry too hard about reading labels, just avoid stuff that says "corn" on it. I won't be able to eat anything you bring, just need to be able to breathe with you eating near me. Also please skip any strong scents or perfumes for similar reasons."

"***THE FOOD POST***Just a note on what to bring, or not bring. If you somehow haven't heard this, I have anaphylactic airborne allergy to corn. We're talking facial swelling, throat closing, and death. . ***GOOD*** Meat, fake meat, all-beef hot dogs, potato chips, root veggie chips, fruit, veggies, whole foods in general beer, wine, cane-sweetened sodas, fruit juice. .***CHECK INGREDIENTS ON***These can be fine but check label carefully: Bread products including buns and flour tortillas, salad dressings, condiments such as ketchup and mustard, sour cream.***OKAY*** (but don't spill it on me and I may not be able to hug you while you're eating)Bourbon (corn whiskey), anything containing white vinegar, distilled vinegar, or just "vinegar" (from corn if not specified), maltodextrin. .***BAD***Doritos, fritos, cheetos, popcorn, cooked corn, beverages or candy containing corn syrup. Anything containing the ingredients below. .****BAD INGREDIENTS****: "corn" anything, corn starch, corn flour, masa, modified food starch, dextrose. That includes most ketchups and a lot of mustards and relishes which have both corn syrup and vinegar, and a LOT Of bread products which often contain corn starch and corn flour. . ****SMOKING***Weed is fine just about anywhere but probably keep it mostly outside. Cigarettes outside, but if the door is open please stand down in the yard to keep the smoke from getting into the house. If you vape, VAPES need to be as far from me as possible. The glycerin is often from corn and gives me hella asthma. Yeah, you heard me, I deal with second hand cigs better than secondhand vape. . ****SCENTS****Skip the strong perfumes, eh? Skip any scented products entirely if you want hugs. . ***********************************************************I will provide condiments and burger and hot dog buns, as well as a small selection of meat sausages and veggie dogs and a small selection of alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks including some stuff for mocktails since the birthday girl doesn't drink. We will have a second grill top for vegetarian food that we plan to place on top of Don't even worry about bringing stuff I can eat. That's probably not possible to do. We're just trying to make sure I can be near you eating."
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PoisonEyeV
by _ on Jun. 8, 2014 at 4:08 PM
3 moms liked this

....LOL

ChicagoMimi
by Mimi on Jun. 8, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Ummmm...no

MooseMomma
by Gold Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Well they certainly are aware of their allergy. If probably pass on attending.
Krysta784
by Dani on Jun. 8, 2014 at 4:09 PM
11 moms liked this
Wow. It must really suck to be her! All that stuff she can't even be near?! I would die of starvation....
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 8, 2014 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Why? This chick is awesome and you love her, you still wouldn't go?

Quoting ChicagoMimi:

Ummmm...no

skittlebeans88
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 4:09 PM
3 moms liked this
Wow.. That was the invitation?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM
Her life is hard. Lol

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

....LOL

Luuckymommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM
4 moms liked this
I'd be fine with invite.
_mimimosley_
by Ruby Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM
75 moms liked this
Seems like she doesn't want to die, yes I'd attend.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM
3 moms liked this

not a chance

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)