Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yes, Virginia, Religion is harmful

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies

My mother had a psychotic break a few months ago. I was there to witness it, all alone in my house. She came after me, and I honestly thought I was going to die. She had crazy eyes, and blathering nonsense about God. It was over in 2 hours, while I was locked in the bathroom, crying.

The second time it happened, she fainted., and she refused to open her eyes. My friend called the Pastor and various members of our Church.. My dad called the ambulance. They didn't do anything, because she refused consent and they left. The pastor prayed over her for 3 hours, and "cured" her. They said she had demons.

I am an atheist. For the next month, it was on and off, until she threw away my clothing, claiming God would send new ones. My dad finally admitted her into the mental hospital. She got better after taking her medication, and believed it was "God" who did this. She stopped taking her meds when she got out. She had strange moments.

The Pastor believed he had done a miracle. She believed she had demons. No one thought that she became mentally ill. They weren't even trained in mental illness, they just threw everything aside, all the science, all the similar cases, and they were eager to prove themselves as demon castors.

I hate them all. They led my mom to believe she was possessed. I hate that they refused to believe in something that was proven so easily by a series of test. I hate religion, and I hate How they won't believe me, getting angry when I bring up the fact that she might have had a mental illness rather then demons. I hate being the only one. I hate being so alone, with my entire family being a bunch of idiots. I hate religion so much.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
corticosteroid
by Ruby Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Well that's a very sad story.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:52 PM

That's very sad. I'm not a fan of that type of religious person either, but not everyone's like that.

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 6:11 PM

It's the fanatics of any religion - for that matter, the fanatics about any given cause or issue - that are the problem. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN