Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Showing tattoos at work, yay or nay? How do you feel?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 61 Replies

Poll

Question: Should people who work with or around children be able to show tattoos at work, regardless of what they are? (with it being obvious that if it is offensive it would be covered)

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 68

View Results

I have been working for the same company for 2 1/2 years, and I went to the last day of the summer training for the new summer hires. So the "veterans" could welcome the new people.

Anyways we were informed that we are able to show our tattoos at work now as long as they are not offensive towards the children, you have NO clue how happy I was. Now I don't have to wear long sleeves and pants in the summer in 115 degree heat.

I came home and later that night and had made a facebook post about finally being able to show my tattoos and my status kind of blew up, there was one person in particular who was extremely set in her belief that people who work with or around children should never be able to show tattoos at work, regardless of what they are, and that if she came into my job and saw someone there with tattoos she would not feel comfortable leaving her child there.

I of course think she is delusional, but that is my opinion.

So, now I am curious, is she alone in the way she feels or are there a lot of people who feel the same.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gingerprincess
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:48 PM
2 moms liked this

If the tattoos are not bad... (no curse words, nudity, scary images, etc) then its no problem IMO. I doubt a kid is going to be traumatized because the lady at day care has a butterfly tattoo.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:48 PM
As long as the tattoo is offensive I honestly wouldn't care. But, I have tattoos so....Eh.
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:48 PM

I teach, and showing tats is deemed unprofessional, so you'd never see it where I work. When I worked daycare back in college, that rule was not in place, as I remember tats on co workers arms.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:49 PM
I say yes but I'm biased I have tattoos and dh has tattoos.
LyndaLoo78
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:50 PM
I only answered no because you stated the "regardless of what they are." I have seen tattoos that are not okay for kids to see, and I would hope those would be covered up one way or another.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Not a fan. They are unprofessional. Before people jump down my throat - save it. You have your opinion, I have mine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:52 PM

She they be forced to cover up?  I think no  but would I be comfortable leaving my kids there?  Probably Not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:54 PM

i think as long as they're appropriate they should be ok. though depending on the age of the kids you may have some explaining to do when they color on thier arms and you have to tell them not to ;)

i would not go by what's on a person's skin though when it comes to leaving my kids. it's all a matter of personality. i think your friend is totally justified in having her opinion but luckily not everyone has the same opinions.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:54 PM
I'm assuming you work in a daycare facility?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:55 PM

That's why I changed it in parentheses that with it being obvious that if they are offensive they would be covered.

Quoting LyndaLoo78: I only answered no because you stated the "regardless of what they are." I have seen tattoos that are not okay for kids to see, and I would hope those would be covered up one way or another.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)